Can't publish a Word document

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tansy

Can't publish a Word document

Unread post by Tansy »

Something went wrong and I can't publisg MS Word docs any longer.
The compilation process starts and goes for sometime and then no output file is created but the empty Compiler Messages tab sheet is opened instead, with no messages on it.

A random test project is converted fine, the problem persists with the the project I work on.

How do I solve it?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Can't publish a Word document

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tansy,

The first thing to do is to try with a different Word template to make sure that it's not the template that is triggering it. Also make sure that you're using the latest version of Help+Manual 7, as a number of Word output improvements have been made recently. The current version is 7.3.2 Build 4260. Check with Help > About and download the installer here:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd

If you continue to have problems please mail a demo copy of the project to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) so that we can investigate it. Save as a single-file .hmxz with the Save As... option in the File menu, then mail in the .hmxz file.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

H Tim, thanks for your prompt response.

I just downloaded the latest version of Help+Manual 7.
I created a test project for you. I just took the project I work on, deleted everything but the first two chapters, and saved it under a different name in the same folder as my current project. Then I tried publishing it as MS word from the same folder, it didn't work. But when I placed into another folder, it worked, so there is nothing to send you. The problem only reproduces in my current folder.

UPD: I tried all available templates and "No skin" option as well
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Hi Tim,
Strange things happen.
I copied the folder with my project to another location and the conversion to MS Word worked there! Same folder, same files, strange.
Then I removed the original folder and replaced with the one I copied. The conversion works!

What was that, do you have any idea?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tansy,

Sounds like one of those odd Windows gremlins. Another thing that might have worked would have been restarting Windows. Recently we've seen quite a lot of odd Windows behavior on systems that are not restarted at least once a day. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Hi Tim,
Restarting Windows was the first thing I tried.

Thanks anyway!