inline graphics

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tonea Morrow

inline graphics

Unread post by Tonea Morrow »

I have buttons like "OK" and "Save" that I am using in lines of text. When I select the graphic and then apply subscript, it is moved down just enough that the text of the button is base-aligned with the text of the rest of the line. The provides for more natural reading. At least, that's what it looks like in H&M. And, it is what it looks like in the PDF. But, it is not what it looks like in the CHM. In CHM, the base of the graphic is aligned with the base-line of the text. This puts the word within the graphic higher than the words around it, creating a visual bump in the road for the reader.

Is there a way to fix this?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: inline graphics

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tonea,

Using subscript isn't the best method for achieving this, because it will work differently on images in HTML and other formats, as you have discovered. The problem is most likely caused by a white or transparent area in the image itself, below the visible part. The best way to correct it is to edit the image in your graphics program and make that area smaller or remove it entirely -- you will need to experiment a little to find the best solution. Then it should look pretty much the same across different formats. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tonea Morrow

I'm sorry, I don't follow you. I've attached a screen shot of one of my buttons within H&M and within a line of text. All the white space you see is strictly H&M. There is no white space in the Save graphic.

Thanks,

Tonea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tonea,

Ah, now it makes sense. You want it to be dropped down below the baseline of the text. That isn't going to work satisfactorily in all output formats. I would recommend using a smaller, sharper graphic so that it can sit on the baseline without extending too far above the text in the upper area.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tonea Morrow

I don't want to resize the graphic Save because it corresponds to the dialog box to which the text refers. As I said, the print version works fine. Is there a way in the CHM or HTML version to lower a graphic without effecting the surrounding text?? I can use an IF/Then statement to say PDF, use subscript to make base-line level, If_Not PDF use ... to make baseline level.

Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tonea,
Is there a way in the CHM or HTML version to lower a graphic without effecting the surrounding text??
You can achieve this manually in the current version of Help+Manual because it allows you to assign a CSS class to the image. You then need to add corresponding CSS to the skin so that you can adjust what you want to change.
  1. Double-click on the image in the editor and enter a name in the HTML Class: setting. For example "lower".
  2. Open the skin you are using in Help+Manual and in the Project Explorer navigate to Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default.
  3. Locate any pair of <style type="text/css">...</style> before the closing </head> tag and add the following line of code between them, making sure that it is not inside any other {} braces:

Code: Select all

img.lower { vertical-align: middle;}
This assumes that your HTML class is called "lower". If it is called "subscript" you would write img.subscript. You get the idea... 8)

You can then continue to use subscript on the image for PDF and DOCX, as the HTML class will be ignored in those formats, and the subscript on the image will be ignored in HTML.
Regards,

Private support: