Fractions

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tonea Morrow

Fractions

Unread post by Tonea Morrow »

Does H&M support typesetting fractions?

I did a search in the help and found nothing. I also did a search on this forum and found too many references to go through (generally, save a fraction of time ... fractional line spacings ... etc.). I am aware I can create fractions as an image and place those, but I prefer to typset when typesetting is an option. And, yes, I realize that I could create a table of two rows and one column for the fraction, but that can't be set within a line of text.

Thanks!

Tonea
Martin Wynne

Re: Fractions

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Tonea,

What fraction? If you want to write 17/23 it is probably best to enter it like that.

For the common fractions, you can use the ALT codes. For example hold down the ALT key and enter 0188 on the number pad. Which makes ¼ .

You can also find them in H&M under Insert > Symbol.

There is a table of the common ones here (scroll down): https://www.keynotesupport.com/websites ... ency.shtml

For less common fractions, Insert > HTML Code Object and enter say ⅚ . Tick the box to exclude it from creating a separate paragraph. You won't actually see it until you publish the project, and it won't work in PDF.

Just typing 5/6 is a lot less faff.

regards,

Martin.
julio

Unread post by julio »

This website contains all characters that can be used as a single entity, including fractions. If the one you want is not there, maybe your best option is an image, after all.

Tonea Morrow wrote:Does H&M support typesetting fractions?

I did a search in the help and found nothing. I also did a search on this forum and found too many references to go through (generally, save a fraction of time ... fractional line spacings ... etc.). I am aware I can create fractions as an image and place those, but I prefer to typset when typesetting is an option. And, yes, I realize that I could create a table of two rows and one column for the fraction, but that can't be set within a line of text.

Thanks!

Tonea
Tonea Morrow

Unread post by Tonea Morrow »

Thank you. It is clear that I'll have to use graphics for fractions and equations.

By the way, the fraction is Hours/Minutes. When you write a manual on the timeclock system, explaining how time worked (7:30) is converted to decimal (7.5) involves fractions. Most won't know how to do it. Even more won't care. But, it is like the disclaimer in a car ad. Leaving it out is more trouble than putting it in.

Again, Thanks!

Tonea Morrow.