Repository project 'refresh' needed

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

itexnz

Repository project 'refresh' needed

Unread post by itexnz »

Hi, I typically work with one or more projects open, and also the repository in the project explorer pane...
Then I might do some work such as:
  • I decide to save a topic from one of my projects to be a shared snippet in the repository's /topics folder...
  • Then I might decide that I need to rename the snippet file or tweak the contents, so I click on the repository project in the explorer pane, the list of recently modified topics shows the new file I just saved, but if I click on the link I'm informed that Topic "blah_blah" not found.
  • I also cannot see it in the Topic Files>Topics (*xml) folder in the repo.
  • I have to close the repo and reopen it in the Project explorer pane to actually see and edit my new snippet - noting that the project refresh button in the ribbon is also not available to click.
Is it a bug that repository projects cannot be refreshed to show new topics?
David Scott
Documentation Infrastructure Consultant
https://www.sourceone.co.nz
SourceOne. Documentation, engineered.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Repository project 'refresh' needed

Unread post by Tim Green »

itexnz wrote:Is it a bug that repository projects cannot be refreshed to show new topics?
This isn't really a bug, because adding topics to a project externally isn't a "supported" feature, strictly speaking. Help+Manual only polls the contents of the Topics folder afresh when you open the project. Otherwise it is assuming that new topics will only be added from within that project, and since it always knows about that it doesn't need to re-poll the Topics to check whether one has been added.

However, I do agree that it would be helpful to be able to do this from within the repository project. I'll ask the developer responsible for this if it would be possible. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: This function already exists. Just click on the Refresh Project tool in the Project tab to update the topics list. This also works in Repository projects.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
itexnz

Unread post by itexnz »

I tried to do that, but the refresh icon is always greyed out as per example
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Scott
itexnz

Unread post by itexnz »

I've also just created a new test empty project and then saved that as a new repository - just to check that my existing one is not corrupt in some way - but no, the new repo also has a disabled refresh project icon
David Scott
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Itex,

Hmm... it worked yesterday when I tested it on one machine but now I can also reproduce the error. I'm going to check with our developers on this and I'll get back to you on it.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: The grayed-out Refresh tool is a cosmetic error. It should really be on all the time. This will be fixed in the next maintenance update. 8)
Regards,

Private support: