CHM & HTML output different using same skin

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Chris Latimer

CHM & HTML output different using same skin

Unread post by Chris Latimer »

Hi - The modified skin that publishes nicely to html doesn't look the same when published to chm. Specifically, I modified Webhelp, Integrated IFrames Blue Header skin to use a new banner image. But when I use that skin to publish to chm, the banner is not included, and the TOC open/closed book icons show as ? marks. Is there a Configuration setting I'm missing, or am I abusing the skin? Sorry for the newbie question, but this is my first attempt to publish to chm. Thanks very much.
Martin Wynne

Re: CHM & HTML output different using same skin

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Chris,

CHM is a 20-year-old Microsoft format which hasn't been upgraded since it was first released. It contains known bugs, and very limited scope for customizing the appearance. Publishing to CHM with a Webhelp skin is asking for grief. There are some CHM-specific skins available.

You might like to look at H&M's EWriter format, which provides a modern alternative to CHM with extra features.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Chris,

Further to Martin's comments: Even though some WebHelp skins can be used for CHM, they can only style the topic box, nothing else. The CHM viewer is a Microsoft component and an integral part of Windows. Its appearance cannot be changed by a skin. It always looks the same. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Chris Latimer

Unread post by Chris Latimer »

[img]
ThanksMartinTim.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

You're welcome!

As Martin suggested, do try EWriter. It has a lot of benefits for local help:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... writer.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.