Conditional alt in Word or PDF output to image hot spots?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Conditional alt in Word or PDF output to image hot spots?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Since image hot spots don't work in Word output... is there a way to make text links (corresponding to the hot spots) appear only in Word output?

Our primary deployment for a project around some software will be via WebHelp, but we're also trying to set the stage for printed output.

One key graphic is a labelled screen shot of the software's user interface -- a screen shot with hot-spotted terms overlayed on it.

The UI is graphical, with five sections, and the rectangles containing the overlayed terms for each section is a hot spot link that sends the user to pages that describe that particular area. The hot spot notion is greatly beloved by our president and founder, and by definition, I therefore love it :roll: .

Of course, this works well in HTML output...

But, is there a way to make conditional output of a text-based, bulleted list of the same links appear below the UI / label graphic only in printed output?

Conceptually that conditional is something like this: "IF the output of this project is printed Word output THEN print bulleted list ELSE don't show it."
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Conditional alt in Word or PDF output to image hot spots

Unread post by Tim Green »

Just have two versions enclosed in conditional tags. All the images with hotspots and other Word-specific stuff in an IF DOCX ... END clause and the other stuff e.g. in IF HTML ... END. If that gets too messy then just two versions of the corresponding topics; one for Word and one for HTML etc.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Noticing your "IF DOCX" -

The DOCX option isn't among the checkboxes with the IF pop-up - "PRINT" is there, as is "PDF."

Does PRINT = DOCX?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dave Gehman wrote:Does PRINT = DOCX?
Definitely not -- that's for print manual. There seems to be an error there, I'm on it. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: I hadn't looked at this for a while and it turns out that this is actually a slightly misleading word in the build options. The Print option is equivalent to DOCX. I'm looking into getting this changed, because at least in English it's too easy to misunderstand. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Tonea Morrow

Unread post by Tonea Morrow »

Hmm, did not know this. Please be aware that I use the Print option as my PDF for Black and White printouts. I set the format to PDF, but in settings, I set that to Print Manual so it chooses the Quick Help page that was designed for printouts.

Not sure I want that called something else. It works great as it is.

Tonea
Tonea Morrow

Unread post by Tonea Morrow »

Sorry for back-to-back messages, but I remembered upon sending that you can make custom build names. Right click the topic, select include in builds, then choose edit custom builds. There you can add a build that says DOCX. Haven't tried it with an If/Then statement, but it should work. If nothing else, the DOCX now appears on the settings list. When you choose to publish as Word, select the DOCX version for that page. I can clarify if you need it.

Tonea Morrow