Way to remove all links?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Way to remove all links?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

I'm doing some formatting experiments and have created a one-topic test project.

Into that, I copied one topic from the actual -- non-experimental -- help file. I want to publish this one topic in various output types to see the results of my experiments.

Is there a way to remove all links from this topic copy with a single action? Or do I have to go through and remove the links manually?

(By the way, thanks for all the help in the last few days. Because of the minimum character count requirement, I can't just say "Thanks" at the end of a thread.)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Way to remove all links?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,
Dave Gehman wrote:Is there a way to remove all links from this topic copy with a single action? Or do I have to go through and remove the links manually?

There's no way to do that globally from within Help+Manual. You would need to do it on the XML source code of the topic files with a regex-capable multi-file search and replace utility. You would need to write a regex that would look for the <link> ... </link> tag, possibly including the type attribute if you only want to remove one type of link (for example type="topiclink"). Depending on what you want to do you would also need to capture the link text and replace the entire link with just that, or just delete the entire link and the link text and leave a blank. How you set it up would depend on what precisely you want to do.
(By the way, thanks for all the help in the last few days. Because of the minimum character count requirement, I can't just say "Thanks" at the end of a thread.)
You're welcome! 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.