Help file is blank

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Steve Nicholson

Help file is blank

Unread post by Steve Nicholson »

We updated our help file using H&M 7.3.2 build 4260 and now it is blank when opened with the Windows help viewer. We tried with Windows 7 and Windows 10. I tried to attach the chm file to this post but, surprisingly, chm files aren't allowed to be uploaded. I was able to post a screenshot, but I don't think that's going to be helpful. I guess I'll email support.
Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 10.40.25 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Help file is blank

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Steve,

This has nothing to do with the HM update. You are simply opening the CHM file on a network or external drive, which is now forbidden and blocked by Windows. This is for security reasons -- like EXE files, CHMs can transport viruses and malware. CHM files are only for local use and will only display correctly when stored and opened from a local drive on the computer on which they are being opened. This is also why you can't upload CHM files to the forum.

If you need to have help on local networks you have three options:
  • Use WebHelp and put it on the web server on your intranet so that your users can view it in their web browsers.
  • Use the new EWriter format, which combines the benefits of CHM and WebHelp and eliminates the disadvantages.
  • Program your software to make a local copy of the CHM on the user's computer and route all help calls accessed by the user to that copy.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.