Why are some of my character styles not working?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Leah Guren

Why are some of my character styles not working?

Unread post by Leah Guren »

Hi, everyone!

I have a character style called UI (I use it for inline text that are names of UI elements). It is a different typeface, point size, and bold.

In some topics, it shows up just fine (see attached document).

I figure that something is overriding something else, but I am flummoxed.

Thanks!
Leah Guren

Re: Why are some of my character styles not working?

Unread post by Leah Guren »

Sheesh. Never mind, folks. Got it sorted. My text styles are now working properly.

In case anyone was wondering, I had not remembered to set the style as based on "none". That seemed to have solved it.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Why are some of my character styles not working?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Leah,
Leah Guren wrote:In case anyone was wondering, I had not remembered to set the style as based on "none". That seemed to have solved it.
That should not have anything to do with it. Actually, it should be physically impossible for it to have anything to do with it. Furthermore, if you want to use styles effectively, they should always be based on Normal, in order to enable you make global changes to all your styles for properties that they share.

One possibility is that you have a style repository linked to your project. In that case any styles you add should be added to the repository, not to the project itself. (Style repositories are designed to force you to centralize your styles so that they are consistent across multiple projects.) Another possibility, since the issue was only showing up in some topics, is that there was manual formatting there that was interfering with it.

If you like you can mail me a demo project illustrating the issue at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll check it for you. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.