Increase padding around text in TOC

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Steve Nicholson

Increase padding around text in TOC

Unread post by Steve Nicholson »

I'd like to increase the padding around the text in the table of contents. I'd like a few pixels between the text and the left and right edges of the highlight.
TOC Padding.png
The person who authors our help content is off-site and knows nothing about HTML/CSS. I was able to go to their site this morning, get a basic understanding of how Help & Manual works, and bring back copies of the default, layout, and toc HTML. So now I can make changes to the HTML and CSS, have them replace the contents with my version (we aren't using skins), and re-publish the EWriter file. (Not ideal, I know, but it's what I have to work with.)

My modified toc file has this for the <li> elements:

Code: Select all

#toc li { margin-top: 2px; padding: 3px}
It changed the space around the toc items, but not the space around the text within the highlight. So I'm guessing the <li> element has two sub-elements containing the icon and the text.

If I have our author uncheck "Delete temporary files after publishing" and send me the contents of the temporary folder will that contain all of the generated HTML? If so, I should be able to use that to figure out the CSS selector I need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin Wynne

Re: Increase padding around text in TOC

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Steve,

The CSS settings are in the Configuration > Publishing Options > Webhelp > Table of Contents template.

Add or increase the padding-left and padding-right settings for hilight1 to hilight6.

regards,

Martin.