Is documentation available for skins?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Is documentation available for skins?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

I'd like to edit a Word template but cannot figure how to effect something*.

Any chance that future releases could include comment fields containing editing methods or suggestions?

*Trying to make the TOC extend to Head4 - right now, the Word template builds a TOC for heads 1-3. Since the template 1-3 involves 1 / 1.1 / 1.1.1 numbering, and I want H4 to be unnumbered, I'm not getting anywhere.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Is documentation available for skins?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... t_docx.htm
Trying to make the TOC extend to Head4 - right now, the Word template builds a TOC for heads 1-3. Since the template 1-3 involves 1 / 1.1 / 1.1.1 numbering, and I want H4 to be unnumbered, I'm not getting anywhere.
That is really a Word question rather than a Help+Manual question, since the TOC object in the Word template is the standard Word TOC object. I think you would need to use the Word method to create an unnumbered level, if that is possible (I'm not sure whether it is). The HM variables only insert the topic titles.

PS: I'm moving this topic to the Help+Manual 7 section since it has nothing to do with the Premium Pack. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

First, apologies re: forum section. I'm not able to discern which templates or skins are standard with H+M and which are one of the goodies in the premium pack... is there a list of the pack's contents somewhere?

Yes, I'm aware that it's a Word question. I was hoping for some insight into how your developers created the numbered topics & TOC. I've done this in the past, but it's hard to reverse-engineer, and this may not be done in the standard war -- kudos to your people: the standard Word method for doing the type in question is a time bomb and this one doesn't have problems. With the common way, at some point the DOCX will blow up -- that is, become corrupt.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

As so often, Word doesn't make this very intuitive. The important thing to know is that the numbering actually comes from the chapter headings, NOT from the table of contents itself. So if you want levels to be non-numbered you need to click in those in the chapter headings page in the template (in Word) and turn off the numbering by clicking once on the corresponding numbering tool. The numbering will then disappear from those chapter headings.

Then you need to edit the table of contents item in the TOC page and increase the number of TOC levels to show. To do this click in the TOC item, then select Table of Contents > Custom Table of Contents in the References tab. When you confirm it will ask you if you want to replace the TOC item. Say yes -- it will then pick up the variables for the TOC entries from the headings in the chapter headings page.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Thanks!

Is here is a way to make a TOC for graphics - and to the point here, is there a way also to make one for tables? (My heading H4 is used only inside indented, 1-column tables a la the "Productivity Tips" in H+M's help file.)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dave Gehman wrote:(My heading H4 is used only inside indented, 1-column tables a la the "Productivity Tips" in H+M's help file.)

Then it's not relevant for the TOC. The headings for that are only generated from the topic headers, and on the basis of their levels in the TOC structures. Headings within topics don't play a role there, since they aren't part of the TOC structure.
Is here is a way to make a TOC for graphics - and to the point here, is there a way also to make one for tables?
You can have a Word template with a table of figures, there is one in the templates folder that you can start with. There isn't currently an option for a table of tables, although you can create them in Word by modifying a table of figures object. However, I haven't tried that and I'm not currently quite sure if you can make it work with the output from HM.
Regards,

Private support:
Dave Gehman

Ok - thanks - I'll look into the TO-tables possibilities in Word.