Skin - Text Variable - Including html in text string

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tonea Morrow

Skin - Text Variable - Including html in text string

Unread post by Tonea Morrow »

Hi, All!

I am editing the skin to be used with our help file. I am so proud of me because I managed to change the logo in the corner, the page it points to as a hyperlink, and the navigation buttons are now customized. But, I've run into a bit of a problem.

508 requires support for "individuals with limited cognitive, language, and learning abilities simpler and easier." It is a fancy way of saying, "No cultural bias." The default text for the skin's search function says that it support wildcards '*' and '?'. This displays cultural bias (no offense intended) because it is culturally friendly to the experienced user but unfriendly to the novice who never learned what wild cards are. So, I want to reword it to:

The wildcards supported are:<br>'*' asterisk for one or more unknown characters, and<br>'?' question mark for a single, unknown character.

I'm already in the Text Variables section of the skin. I've already changed the variable to the value quoted above. I published with the new variable, and H&M changed the greater-than and less-than symbols into html code for greater-than and less-than. I need it to read as a line break, not text. How do I fix this?

Tonea Morrow
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Skin - Text Variable - Including html in text string

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tonea,

Variables have two modes: Plain text and HTML. If you are editing the variable in Help+Manual look in the "Type" column. Click on the "Text" entry for your variable and change it to "HTML". If you are editing the skin in the Premium Pack Toolbox utility there is a check box you can set in the HTML column for the same thing.

Note that HTML variables will only enter HTML in HTML templates and HTML code objects entered with the Code Object tool in Write > Insert. If you just insert them in topics in the topic editor they will convert the HTML to plain text there as well.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.