How can I edit the template for PDF?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Leah Guren

How can I edit the template for PDF?

Unread post by Leah Guren »

Hi. Sorry if this is a basic question. I saw the PDF template editor thing, but it seems to be more along the lines of frame definitions. I just want to do a few very simple alterations to the basic manual template:

--I don't want numbered headings AT ALL.
--I want to add whitespace before a style that I use has my H2. Right now, the text of the previous content is practically right on top of it.

Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How can I edit the template for PDF?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Leah,

See this tips and tricks guide for a basic intro to getting into PDF template editing. On your immediate questions, first open the Manual Designer program, open one of the basic templates in \Templates\PDF in the Help+Manual program directory, and select Save As in the File menu of Designer to save an editing copy in your project folder. You can't edit the originals in the program directory (they are there so that you always have unedited originals).
--I don't want numbered headings AT ALL.
You will need to edit both the Table of Contents and the Topics sections to remove the numbers. In each of these sections you will see six headings above one another that represent the formatting of each of the six permitted heading levels in your project. In some (possibly all) headings, the variables for the numbering on the left are in separate text objects. Just select those objects and delete them. Then adjust the left edge of the text object containing the title variable with the mouse (drag the left edge) so that it is in the place where the number object used to start.

In headings where the numbering variable and the title variable are in the same object, double-click on the text object to edit it and delete the <%NUMBERINGx%> variables and the spacers between them, leaving the <%HEADINGx%> variables untouched.
--I want to add whitespace before a style that I use has my H2. Right now, the text of the previous content is practically right on top of it.
For this you need to edit the second-level heading in the Topics section and add the appropriate amount of space above it. For instructions press F1 in Manual Designer to read the help and then go to Designing a Template > Topics Section and read the instructions under the heading "Vertical Spacing in Bands".
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Leah Guren

Re: How can I edit the template for PDF?

Unread post by Leah Guren »

Thanks! Got most everything working smoothly for now.