Alternate Topic Name

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tonea Morrow

Re: Alternate Topic Name

Unread post by Tonea Morrow »

:D If I could send the actual file, I would. Since you said a sample project, I'm assuming you understand that I can't send government files. :lol: But did you realize that in order to send you a sample project, I have to recreate the problem in a dummy file? I do have a dummy file, and I will see if I can recreate the problem, but don't hold your breath. :dunno:

Thank you for your understanding. :typing:

Tonea
Tonea Morrow

The problem is not within the skin.

I opened my dummy file and published with the work-file skin. Problem did not reproduce. I opened my work-file and changed to a different skin. Problem did reproduce.

Tonea
Tonea Morrow

:gottit: SUCCESS !!!! :hoorahb:

Here's what I did:
Work file: Publish PDF format > Customize PDF Layout > PDF Layout
I took a screen shot of the options that were set there.
WorkFile1.png
I then selected the dummy file and made the changes to match the work file. Selected PDF Table of Contents, my 2nd table of contents in that file that contains the exact same pages as the first table of contents, and Published. The problem was not re-created.

I then went to the work file and made a screen shot of the options in:
Publish PDF format > Customize PDF Layout > PDF File Options
WorkFile2.png
Went to the dummy file and copied the settings to it. Ran the publish and the file was missing the numbers inside the page reference icons. The problem was successfully recreated.

Went back to the dummy file and the PDF File Options. Left the PDF/A mode set to Level A and changed all of the other settings where I had matched the work file. I set those back to what they had been prior to this. Ran the publish and the page numbers were still missing from the icons.

I went back to the dummy file and changed only the PDF/A mode to be None. Upon viewing the PDF, the page numbers are back on the icons.

The problem is in the PDF/A mode of A.

You should be able to reproduce this on your own. If you still need my dummy file, let me know and I will email it, but that's a bigger hassle.

I need my PDF's to support screen readers. Right now, I'm not getting support comparable to what can be achieved through Word. I'm looking at having to export my PDF's as Word files instead. Then, within word, I'll have to make sure I have all the accessibility settings as they should be. Then I will be able to publish as PDF/UA-1. :frustration:

Tonea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hey Tonea,

Brilliant work! Would you like a job? 8)

Seriously, thank you very much for sleuthing this. I can reproduce it immediately and we will get onto it right away. There appears to be a problem with the Level A output here.

For the time being, try setting your PDF output to Level B instead of Level A. As far as I am currently aware, Level A and Level B should function pretty much the same for accessibility requirements, and Level B is actually less problematic. It is definitely worth giving it a try.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tonea,

This problem has now been fixed in a new interim update. So if you install it you won't need to use any workarounds:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v735.exe

Thanks again for reporting it. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.