508 Compliance - CHM

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

508 Compliance - CHM

Unread postby Tonea Morrow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:11 pm

I'm in the process of getting screen reader software so I can test my pages for 508 compliance, whether CHM, PDF, or HTML. But, until then I have some people who have volunteered to check things for me. I can't send them actual FAA files. But, I can send dummy files that test how things work so I know what to look at.
GoofyCo.png

That is a screen shot of my dummy file GoofyCo within H&M. The goal was to find out if a screen reader would see the same output in the chm format as the sighted user sees, which is this:
GoofyCo-Sighted.png

Compare what the sighted user sees (above) with the response I got from my volunteer:
The menu tree is all that I can see in this file. F6 toggles between the menu and the main body of the file where the information should be. That is totally blank and inert under the screen reader.

The menu items in the left-hand contents tree are readable and there item number and heading level is reported.

None of the rest of your material is visible.

First, is this a problem other people have had?

Second, is this failure a result of something I did or didn't do in the publishing of the CHM format?

Third, any fix ideas?

Thanks,

Tonea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. This may mean that you can't view them at all, or it may just mean that you need to log into the forum to view them.
Tonea Morrow

Re: 508 Compliance - CHM

Unread postby Tonea Morrow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Sorry, I forgot to show you the code for the page--just in case it makes a difference.

GoofyCo-Code.png

Thanks for any help!

Tonea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. This may mean that you can't view them at all, or it may just mean that you need to log into the forum to view them.
Tonea Morrow

Unread postby Alexander Halser » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:52 am

Hi Tonea,

Second, is this failure a result of something I did or didn't do in the publishing of the CHM format?

I am not sure if the Windows HTML Help viewer is section 508 compliant. It's a Microsoft product and part of the operating system. If the screen reader does not even see the topic pane with the HTML content, it is probably a shortcoming of the HTML Help viewer. If the screen reader can see the HTML content, but has problems with deciphering it, it could be a skin issue. In this case, you can use a simplier skin - or no skin at all - to publish the CHM file. Without a skin, H&M creates literally naked static HTML pages, that it fills with the topic content. But I do not think that this is the case here, your skin should be fine. After all, the CHM skins are not all to complicated, because of other restrictions in the HTML Help viewer.

If you create a PDF file, make sure to enable the PDF/A variant in the PDF publishing options. PDF/A adds extra meta information to the PDF for archiving (the A in PDF/A) and accessibility.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread postby Tonea Morrow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:29 pm

Thank you for the information. I did as you suggested and used no skin at all. I was able to email the new chm to both volunteers. I included a complete text description of what they should see in the main content window:

Header bar says Introduction (on left) then large space to the right where there are these words: Top Next. Each word is a hyperlink to control the change of Main Content to a different page.
Below the header, it should say
Welcome to our test file.
We have useless information on (link, destination Accessing Menu Item 1, no tooltip)accessing system A(end link), as well as more information on (link)accessing system B(end link, destination accessing menu item 2, no tooltip).
Graphic Logo.png, tooltip Goofy Company! This is our Logo!
Caption: The image above is the Goofy Company logo.
The (Graphic OK button.png, tooltip OK) button is used in a lot of software packages.

Response from volunteer 1:
...the content (including links) worked exactly as you described. Headings are still missing though.

I've not yet heard back from volunteer 2, but the point is that it seems to be a skin issue. Can you recommend a skin or advise on how to solve with the skin I've got? I will admit the volunteer who's response I quoted was not abel to respond on the first version because google email wouldn't pass the file to him. By the time I did the second file, I'd figured out how to fool google. If you really think it isn't the skin, I can send a file (with a skin applied) to this volunteer and see if he gets the same results as the first volunteer.

Thanks,

Tonea
Tonea Morrow

Unread postby Tim Green » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:09 am

Hi Tonea,

If you're not using a skin at all there shouldn't be any logo appearing anywhere. My guess is that your project has an old edited template in it still. In the project, go to Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default and use the Reset button to reset the template to the basic default. You can then use the Simple configuration tab to adjust a couple of things like the navigation links.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread postby Tonea Morrow » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Please look at the first letter on this topic or simply the quotes within the message to which you replied. In the H&M screen shot, it shows you that I used a dummy logo within the page's content. That was just a means of inserting a test graphic. So, yes, there should be a logo in the output, but not as part of the CHM header, no. Since he can't see the header, whether there is a logo there or not is a moot point. A side issue: What is the problem with the skin that makes it where the content screen gets blanked?

Real Issue: How can I apply a skin and not lose the screen reader's visibility of content within the main window? And, is the loss of header visibility (to screen reader's) a function of CHM, H&M, or of the skin?

I think I can code an If>Then statement to add a header for screen readers to see when they view the CHM: |If CHM>Header: Introduction<End| . And, I can set the colors on the text so it is the same color as the background. Sighted reader's won't see it, but screen readers will. That's just a work around for a problem that, for all I know, is solvable.

I want to be able to put a skin back on the CHM so the look and feel of it for sighted readers is consistent with the other formats. I just can't do that if it causes the blind reader's to be denied access to the same content.

Thanks,

Tonea
Tonea Morrow

Unread postby Tim Green » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Tonea,

Tonea Morrow wrote:So, yes, there should be a logo in the output, but not as part of the CHM header, no. Since he can't see the header, whether there is a logo there or not is a moot point.

Well, that's strictly not even a logo then; it's just another graphic in your content, so that shouldn't be a problem as long as you have set the alt text for it.

A side issue: What is the problem with the skin that makes it where the content screen gets blanked?

The most likely cause there is a non-scrolling header, where the topic header stays in the same place and the topic content scrolls in a box below it. If the screen reader is old/poorly programmed/dumb then it is quite possible that it wouldn't be able to handle that.

Real Issue: How can I apply a skin and not lose the screen reader's visibility of content within the main window? And, is the loss of header visibility (to screen reader's) a function of CHM, H&M, or of the skin?

I'm not quite sure whether you've already done this, but the best way to test this is to generate a CHM without a skin and see if the screen readers can handle it:

1. Go to Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default and click on the RESET button to make sure there is no custom code.
  2. When publishing, click on the Select Skin bar, look for the little menu above or below the previews and select Remove Skin.
If the screen readers can then handle it you know that the problem is that they are too limited to handle non-scrolling regions. The only option there is to dispense with skins entirely then, as all of them use non-scrolling headers.

Tonea[/quote]
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Return to Help & Manual 7 Forum