Manual page break adds extra paragraph mark (Word)

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mikusss2

Manual page break adds extra paragraph mark (Word)

Unread post by mikusss2 »

Hello,

when I add manual page break at the end of a chapter, the next headline is moved to the new page, but there is an extra paragraph mark at the very beginning (as if you would press ENTER). I export to MS Word. I looked into XML and there are no extra tags, just the page break "para":

Code: Select all

<para styleclass="Normal" style="page-break-before:always;"></para>
It looks like this:

I wonder if there is a way around this, except for editing the exported document manually, of course. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Michal
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Manual page break adds extra paragraph mark (Word)

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Michal,

The solution is quite simple: The problem is caused by adding the page break at the end of a topic, which is not where it belongs. You need to add it at the beginning of the next chapter, before the very first character of the first paragraph (there should not be even a single character before it). Then it will work.

Manual page breaks are fine if you just need a single page break for a special case. Normally, however, you will want automatic page breaks at the beginning of topics on a certain level. For example, you might want page breaks at the beginning of all top-level topics, but lower-level topics should follow directly without page breaks.

In Word you would do this by editing the heading styles in the Word template and adding page break before options to the ones for the levels where you want page breaks (for example for Heading 1).

You can define automatic page breaks for all topic levels in your PDFs by editing the print manual template (see the PDF & Printed Manuals chapter in the help for details on how to edit the template). select the Topics section of the template and then select Pages > Page Options (or double-click on an empty section of the page). You can then define the page break options separately for each level in the table at the bottom of the page.

Note 1: The page break setting for "Section starts..." at the top of the dialog is only for the beginning of the entire Topics section, i.e. for the very first topic in the project.

Note 2: When you set page breaks for odd pages you must also make sure that you turn off the option "Ignore blank pages in PDF" in your PDF project properties (Project Explorer > Configuration > Publishing Options > PDF > PDF Layout). When this option is on all blank pages will be suppressed and it often won't be possible for topics to start on odd pages.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
mikusss2

Re: Manual page break adds extra paragraph mark (Word)

Unread post by mikusss2 »

Hello Tim,

excellent, it works as you described! Thank you for your help and detailed response!

Have a nice day!
Michal