Edit the formulas

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Irina Poddubnaya

Edit the formulas

Unread post by Irina Poddubnaya »

Hi,

HM-7 has excluded ability to edit formulas in Microsoft Equation 3.0 since January 2018.
When trying to edit formulas message "Class is not registered" is generated.
Microsoft Equation 3.0 has also been excluded from list of OLE-objects, so it's impossible to create a new formula.
Please, advise me how to add and edit formulas in HM-7 now.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Edit the formulas

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Irina,

This is the first report we have heard of this. I've asked our developers to look into it. However, the message "Class not registered" actually makes it sound as though your copy of MS Equation had not registered itself correctly with the OLE server in Windows. I'll get back to you as soon as I have their report.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
sizbut

Unread post by sizbut »

May be unrelated by the after last round of Windows updates two weeks ago I found I couldn't start any Microsoft Office applications by either using the program shortcuts, clicking on the executables or clicking on a document file of the appropriate type.

The advice (which did fix the issue) from my own IT was to perform a repair of the Office installation. May be worth a try.

Close all your MS Office programs including MS Lync if you have them open.
Access Control Panel
Windows 7: Start> Control Panel> Programs and features. NOTE: if you do not see this option, make sure the View by is in Large Icons.
Windows 10: Right-click over the Start menu> select Programs and features
Search for Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010> Right click on it and hit Change
Choose Repair and hit Continue, it will take a couple of minutes.
When the repair is done click Close and hit Yes to restart your computer.
If the above troubleshooting steps do not fix it, please reinstall MS Office 2010.
ckopetski

Unread post by ckopetski »

Any updates on this? I'm having the same problem. When I click on an existing equation in H&M 7, I immediately see a 'Class not registered' error.
Tim Green
Site Admin

ckopetski wrote:Any updates on this? I'm having the same problem. When I click on an existing equation in H&M 7, I immediately see a 'Class not registered' error.
This message doesn't have anything to do with Help+Manual directly. What it means is that the OLE server for the object you are clicking on in the editor (in this case an OLE link to an equation object) is either not present or not correctly installed on the machine you are working on. What is happening is that Help+Manual is reaching out to the OLE server in Windows and asking for the OLE object reference from the Office equation editor. The server is simply saying, sorry, it either isn't there or there's something wrong with it. This is normally configured automatically when you install a program like Office that supports OLE (object linking and embedding).

Nothing has changed in Help+Manual here -- it appears that something has gone wrong or changed in the Windows and/or Office installation as regards the OLE server and OLE objects.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

We just researched this and the change is not in Help+Manual but in Office. What has happened is that Microsoft has completely removed Equation Editor from Office. The only way you can insert Office formulas as OLE objects now is to insert a Word object in which you have inserted a Word equation, but the formatting of its rectangle is rather clunky. Here is Microsoft's official statement on this:

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... dea24fdf3f

To be able to continue to use formulas created with Equation Editor you now need to get the Pro version of Mathtype Desktop from Wiris:

http://www.wiris.com/en/equation_editor/microsoft

:roll:
Regards,

Private support: