PDF has duplicate headings

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Amy Groth

PDF has duplicate headings

Unread post by Amy Groth »

Hi Everyone,

I've inherited Help & Manual (and our documentation) from a colleague who has taken a longer leave. I have set up a document (with skins) which only needs to be exported as a PDF. When I export it, however, the very first heading repeats itself (i.e. where the second topic should be) causing all the headings to be off by one. Does anyone have some ideas where I should be looking for the problem?

Thanks for your help!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PDF has duplicate headings

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Amy,

Where is the repetition showing up? In the table of contents or in a the body of a topic, or somewhere else?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Amy Groth

Unread post by Amy Groth »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The TOC looks perfect. For example, TOC topics are Prerequisites, Connecting, IP Configuration. The topic title "Prerequisites" gets placed as a heading at the top right of the first body page which is correct. "Prerequisites" also gets placed at the top of the following page which should be "Connecting." I have tried inserting hard returns at the tops and bottoms of the page but to no avail.

Thanks again,
Amy
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Amy,

Check the Topics section in your PDF template. There are six "bands" there representing the headings for each of the six supported TOC levels. Band 1 is used for level 1 topic headings, band 2 for level 2 topic headings and so on. This only works correctly if the variables for the headings used in the bands match the band number. So you must use the heading 1 variable in band 1, the heading 2 variable in band 2, and so on. Otherwise things get at cross purposes. My guess is that what has happened is that there is a wrong variable in there.

If you continue to have problems please mail your .mnl template to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll check it out for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.