Reducing Log Entries

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Dressel

Reducing Log Entries

Unread post by Ed Dressel »

I generate my final output using command line options. Based on the custom build, topics are included or excluded. A couple items here:

1) I check the logs and like it when there are no messages when I am finished, but I don't know how to get rid of some of the messages. For example, I see items like this:
[Warning] Topic TOPIC_1 referenced by TOPIC_ 2 (1)
The TOPIC_2 is only included in builds with "FEATURE_TOPIC_2" is defined, and "TOPIC_1" is only included with "FEATURE_TOPIC_1" is defined. Neither of them are defined for the specific output, but I still get the warning message.

Note this happens for CHM, not PDF.

Why?

2) It would also be nice if the log file was only generated when warnings or errors are encountered--that way an empty log directory would mean I didn't have anything to be concerned about.

Thank you,

Ed Dresel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Reducing Log Entries

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

Actually, if you search for text in the referenced topic in the CHM you will probably find that it IS included, just not with a TOC entry. You didn't include the full warning message, but my guess is that the topic is being included because it is referenced in a link in a topic that is included, and your project's settings to deal with dead links specify including the topic in the background to prevent dead links (settings in View > Program Options > Compilers). You can change the settings to allow the links to be dead, but it's better to actively exclude the link or provide alternative text with conditional text tags. See here for details:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... dlinks.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.