Project Synchonization vs. Translation Sibling

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Project Synchonization vs. Translation Sibling

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

We made a translation sibling for our project, which is just now going into translation. The translator has Trados Studio, a translation memory system.

The translator has a zip file of our translation sibling, sent a week ago.

Of course, our actual project has changed.

When I began to synchronize the sibling, I saw that "Project Synchronization is not needed if you are using translation memory!"

How do we get our revised project to our translator? It looks as though we just discard the sibling and now zip up the working version - is that right?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Project Synchonization vs. Translation Sibling

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,
How do we get our revised project to our translator? It looks as though we just discard the sibling and now zip up the working version - is that right?
Exactly. If they are using Trados all the unchanged text has already been translated. They just let Trados chew on the new version of the project for a few minutes and it automatically translates everything that is already known, and lets the translator know where there is new and changed material that a human needs to look at. And even there they will get support from Trados, referencing the translation memory for phrases and terminology so that you get maximum consistency.

Summary: Translation memory is cool. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Tim Green wrote: Summary: Translation memory is cool. 8)
Indeed it is.

Do we need to send the entire H+M project (with all the .JS code, baggage files, ancillary [non-topic-content] XML and so on) - or do we just send the changed topic XMLs and any changed graphics?

I'm asking, because I don't whether H+M reaches into or changes the supporting files and folders when there are additions or edits to the textual components.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

Always send the entire project for translation memory.

Also, as a general principle, do not EVER send only project components for translation. Not ever, not under any circumstances, no matter what format or method you are using for translation. The translator always needs everything, without exception, and that also includes all graphics, referenced material etc. I worked as a professional technical translator for many years and I can assure you, everything that you leave out will create problems in the translation that you will regret later.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Thank you very much - exactly the information I needed.
sizbut

Unread post by sizbut »

Agree.

And I would also include creating a set of the outputs (CHM, PDF, whatever) before zipping it all up and sending.

Having the source language outputs to refer to can help the translators a lot (and fewer phone calls/emails to you). It lets them see the new strings in full context when they have a query.
Dave Gehman

sizbut wrote:Agree.

And I would also include creating a set of the outputs (CHM, PDF, whatever) before zipping it all up and sending.
Thanks - taking this into consideration. It's too late for today's upload, but will be part of ongoing revisions... of which there will be many (documenting an application while it's early beta stage).