HTML Page Title

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

sizbut

HTML Page Title

Unread post by sizbut »

Just switched from V4 to V7 and loving it. But have one question.

For HTML output I'm using a skin based on one of the 3.42 premium pack V3 responsive skins, layout set to single responsive page.

In the output, the HTML <title> tag appears to be based on the <%TOPIC_TITLE%> variable. But in the HTML template of both the project and the skin, if I edit the <title><%topic_title%></title> entries it has no effect.

Is it possible?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: HTML Page Title

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi SizeButt,

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to change here, or why... :o What are you trying to achieve?

The <title> tag in a web page is not normally displayed anywhere except in the browser title bar. it is just an internal reference. Because of the way the V3 skins work (you are not actually loading a new HTML topic page when you browse to a new topic) the contents of the title tag are updated dynamically while you are browsing, with the title of the new topic. So if you change the variable inside the topic page template in the skin you will only get a change in the title bar on the first topic that the user visits. After that, the title will be updated normally internally, with the title of the topic the user is browsing to.

What you CAN do is change what is shown in the browser title bar: You can have the topic title (default), the project title or the project title AND the topic title. This is configured with the TITLEBAR_CONTENT configuration variable, which you can find in the General Settings variables group when you are configuring the skin with Toolbox.

Note that editing templates in your project will never have any effect on anything when you are using a skin. The project templates are always replaced by the skin templates when you use a skin.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
sizbut

Unread post by sizbut »

Tim,

Many thanks, I'll give the TITLEBAR_CONTENT variable a try.

The reason is for bookmarking etc. I have a web site that consists of about 70 different Help & Manual projects and a lot of the topics have the same or similar titles. For example, there is a 'Adding a User' topic in projects for Product A and Product B. So it would be nice for the browser tab to show something like 'Product A - Adding a User' and even nicer to have that as the default label used if the user saves that topic as a bookmark.

Cheers.
sizbut

Unread post by sizbut »

And there it is in the Premium Pack help file. Setting the TITLEBAR_CONTENT variable to project_title does exactly what I need.

Note to self - read the manual.