File Management (+ a couple of other questions)

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Marcus kerr

File Management (+ a couple of other questions)

Unread post by Marcus kerr »

Hi

First, great product. Saving me many hours, many many hours...!
But I could save more: -

1. File Management - Does everything have to be in a single source folder, ideally using an image folder or several would be very useful.
2. Can I rename an image (or any file) from within the application and have other pages that use it update automatically? (Like many web authoring apps do)
3. Can I list all orphaned files? (Images again mainly)
3. Can I set a default setting for new tables so I don't have to change each time I create a new one

Thanks in advance for any assistance. It's appreciated.

Marcus
Marcus kerr

Re: File Management (+ a couple of other questions)

I have since found "project search path" so that's item 1 more or less resolved for me.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

HI Marcus,
2. Can I rename an image (or any file) from within the application and have other pages that use it update automatically? (Like many web authoring apps do)
Not directly. However, the search and replace function allows you to search and replace image filenames (Find Where:), so you can replace all instances of one image filename with another. In addition to this, you can also automatically overwrite an image on the disk with a new one from within the editor. To do this, 1) Copy the new image to the Windows Clipboard 2) Select the image in the editor you want to replace 3) Press CTRL+V to paste and you will be asked if you want to overwrite the disk image.
3. Can I list all orphaned files? (Images again mainly)
Yes, by generating a full report with the Report tool in the Project tab. If you have any topics without TOC entries choose to order by topic ID not in the TOC order, as the latter will only list topics with TOC entries.
3. Can I set a default setting for new tables so I don't have to change each time I create a new one
Not directly, but you can define table styles:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/inde ... tables.htm

In addition to this you can also define any complex table type you like as an XML snippet and then load it whenever you need that table. This also applies for other complex pieces of reusable content. I use it for toggles with formatted headers all the time, for example:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/inde ... ippets.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Marcus kerr

Thanks. I'll work through those answers. Cheers.

Can I pop another one in.

In compiler messages when publishing as webhelp : Duplicate anchor ID/name "Qualifications" in topic

Where abouts on the page is the duplication? I'm stumped.

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Marcus kerr wrote:In compiler messages when publishing as webhelp : Duplicate anchor ID/name "Qualifications" in topic
These can be the red anchor symbols that represent the named anchors you have entered for positions on the page to jump to with links. If that is the case you need to give each anchor on the page a unique name (on that page).

However, it is also possible that it refers to the same ID given to multiple graphics on the page, for example if you are re-using the info boxes from HM's own help with the offset icon in the top left corner (Productivity Tip/Key Information). In that case the message can be ignored because it will work fine with the same ID on multiple images.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Marcus kerr

It was the images.

I'm working through changing them though as the errors in compiling offend me...!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Marcus kerr wrote:It was the images.I'm working through changing them though as the errors in compiling offend me...!
That's easy to do now because images now also support HTML classes in the current version of Help+Manual. You will need to change the corresponding references in the CSS though. Where these are depends on the skin you are using.
Regards,

Private support: