Relativ image source in topic files

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Christoph Buecheler

Relativ image source in topic files

Unread post by Christoph Buecheler »

In my topic files, images are referenced without relativ source path. Instead of <image src="XX.png" /> I woud expect something like <image src="..\XX.png" /> because the images are located in the parent folder. Is ther a way to change this behaviour?

Best regards
Christoph Bücheler
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Relativ image source in topic files

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Christoph,
Christoph Buecheler wrote:In my topic files, images are referenced without relativ source path. Instead of <image src="XX.png" /> I woud expect something like <image src="..\XX.png" /> because the images are located in the parent folder. Is ther a way to change this behaviour?
Absolutely not, and there is a very good reason for this. If we included the paths for every image reference your projects would not be portable and you would never be able to change the locations of your image files. As soon as you did, the images would no longer be found. Help+Manual only refers to the names of the files. It finds them by looking in the settings in Configuration > Common Properties > Project Search Path. It searches those folders from top to bottom and uses the FIRST image it finds there with a matching name.

This means that you have to take care to avoid images with duplicate names, because only the first file with that name will ever be found. That is the price you pay for having maximum flexibility. You can consolidate and move your image files around whenever you like. You just need to change the paths in the search path settings. These paths are always relative internally (relative to the project folder), so if you keep your image files in sub-folders in the project folder you can also move the entire project around without having to change any settings.

See this topic in the help for more information on managing image files:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... naging.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Christoph Buecheler

Unread post by Christoph Buecheler »

Hi Tim

Thanks for your answer. I thought it might be a workaround to solve my problem with SDL Preview. SDL support says the helpproject.xsl file is broken.
Do you know someone who translated an H&M project with SDL Trados Studio 2015?

Best regards
Christoph
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Christoph,

Please refer to the detailed mail Alexander sent you about the Trados issue with the XSL file, with the updated copy of the file. For other users, here is the basic information on this:

Since SDL Support apparently didn't say what was "defective" it's not possible for us to comment on that aspect of it. However, the XSL file is only used to facilitate a quick preview of pages in a web browser. It provides the XML transforms needed to convert the XML to HTML on the fly and display it in the browser. This is a rough conversion for context only.

The XSL file is really just a convenient extra that Trados doesn't need at all to be able to function correctly. There should be no problem in generating a paragraph-based preview without it, so try removing the file entirely if Trados is gagging on it.

If SDL can provide details on exactly what the problem with the file is we would be happy to make any necessary changes. Unfortunately, SDL has not been responsive to any of our attempts to get information to enable us to provide better support and integration for Trados. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.