An error has interupted the save operation!

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

VincentBevort

An error has interupted the save operation!

Unread post by VincentBevort »

Hi,

I get this message during autosave
The message states:
However, Help+Manual was able to save those topics that have been edited by you and were stored in the local file cache. The saved project is therefore missing many topics, but your edits have been saved.
As soon as you can access the original project, open the original and your Save As version, then manually apply your edits to the original project.
But no files are missing. All seems to work as expected.

I an running H&M 7.3.1:4180
I also use GIT to manage several updates where the publishing date is not known yet (BTW Git work like a dream for this. just have to remember that I don't use H&M during merges)
Due to working with GIT the project is always on my C: drive in the same location.
I moved the project some time ago but edited the project after that several times and had no issues.

I tried to sync the project from my GIT repository in case something was missing but everything was OK or the error alread sneakt into my repository :(

Somehow H&M got something wrong but I cannot find what.

I saved the report and will send it to you (support AT ec-software.com)
If needed, ask and I will also send the project.

I read the post from Rob Beginner on 19t of sept 2017 but it feels a bit different for my issue
Senior Test Engineer & Technical Writer
Flowbird group
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: An error has interupted the save operation!

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Vincent,

Before doing anything else, please update to 7.3.5 Build 4434, which has just been released:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd

What appears to be happening is that HM believes that something has interrupted the save operation.

The question here is, is git doing anything active when you are not performing commits or updates with it? If it does, it's possible it could temporarily change permissions that could make HM think something had gone wrong. I'm going to have our developers look at this as well and will update this thread with their information.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VincentBevort

Is the Download site down?
Flowbird group
VincentBevort

I installed the latest version now.
I still get the same error
Flowbird group
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Vincent,

We're looking into it, but we won't be getting an analysis until next week because the developer responsible for these components is already away for the Easter holiday with his family. For the time being I suggest that you try to pull a fresh working copy in another folder and see if that helps.

BTW: Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to have project file names that include characters like "&" and spaces (both the case in your project). Among other things, that makes it impossible to make modular CHM projects. I'm not sure if it would have anything to do with your problem but it definitely wouldn't hurt to switch to a "clean" project name (only alphanumeric characters, - and _, no accented or special characters, no spaces).
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VincentBevort

Hi Tim,

I will change the project name and try a clean copy from GIT
Flowbird group
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Vincent,

Update: So far, our analysis shows that the problem is most likely purely cosmetic. What happens is that if you don't take some action or click the "Ignore this message" option the trigger for it doesn't get reset. So the message then continues to be displayed, even though there is no longer any reason for it.

We are going to correct this in the next update. However, if it happens again please select the "Ignore" option. That should stop repeat displays of the message. If it does come in spite of this please let us know by email. ;-)
Regards,

Private support: