eWriter Viewer Option to open external links

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Barry Shaw

eWriter Viewer Option to open external links

Unread post by Barry Shaw »

Using Shift (Left) Click on a link to another page inside an e-Writer publication, opens up the default browser window with the linked page. This happens regardless of the setting "Open external links in default browser" on the Viewer page of either the standalone e-Writer application or in direct publication to e-Writer format in the main H&M application.

I would assume that this is not expected behavior .... I was hoping to contain the users navigation to the e-Writer window.

Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: eWriter Viewer Option to open external links

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Barry,

This is definitely expected behavior: SHIFT+Click on a web link is IE's shortcut for opening the link in a new window, so that is what happens. EWriter must render the pages with Windows Webview component, which is basically IE without its own user interface, so it has all the behaviors of IE. Similarly, links will also open in the external browser if you use the "new window" option as the target of your links, no matter what you set in the EWriter configuration options.

Generally, I would recommend that you always set EWriter to open links externally. Doing it in the EWriter viewer can make browsing difficult and it won't work at all in V3 skins, which don't have a topic frame to load the external page into. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.