WebHelp - Empty Topic after publishing

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Simon Heller

WebHelp - Empty Topic after publishing

Unread post by Simon Heller »

Hello everyone,

after publishing my document as a WebHelp i have noticed that one of the topics suddenly was blanc. All the text and images aren't shown.
The Topic is still shown in the TOC though.

I checked if i maybe forgot to save after creating the content of the topic but when viewing the topic in help&manual the content is still there.

Does someone know this issue and maybe a way to fix that?
I can provide further details if needed.

Thank you in advance.

Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: WebHelp - Empty Topic after publishing

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

It sounds as though there might be something in the topic that is causing an error. When viewing the WebHelp in the browser, press F12 to view the developer console, then press F5 to reload the page. If there are errors you should then see messages about them. Otherwise we need to see a small demo project and the skin file you are using, which you need to send to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) .
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon Heller

Good Morning Tim,

i have opened the dev console and checked for error messages. These are the errors i receive:

I also checked for the error messages when the topic is excluded from the publishing and the result was that they were gone.

Are these error messages enough to find a fix for that problem or should i send you a demo and the skin file which i am using too?

Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Simon,

Something wacky is going on here but the main problem is most likely that you are displaying the WebHelp directly from the disk without a web server, which no longer works properly in all browsers except Firefox. The only exception here are the new V3 skins in the Premium Pack add-on, which have new technologies that allow them to do this. If you put the WebHelp on your web server the problem will probably go away.

You can test this in two ways:

First try setting the option in the Publish screen to open the WebHelp automatically after publishing. Help+Manual then uses its own internal mini web server and that should show you if the issue is related to that. To test in multiple browsers just copy the entire URL used from the browser's Address: field and paste it into another browser, then it will also use HM's server, which will remain open as long as HM also remains open.

If you open the file directly from the disk in Firefox it should also work normally. Firefox is the only browser that does not get confused by iFrames in local files. All other browsers think that the frames are on another server somewhere and block them for security reasons (thus the "cross-origin" warning message).

If you continue to have problems on the server please mail a demo project including the culprit topic and your .hmskin file to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll test it out for you. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon Heller

Hi Tim,

i have uploaded our project to our webserver now and the error messages seen above are gone. The topic is still empty though.

I have sent you a demo of the topic as well as our skin file to the e-mail address you have provided.

Thank you!
Simon Heller

Update:

After removing the video which was at the top of my topic, re-inserting it and then adding a single space before the video it now publishes without any problems.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the confirmation. 8)
Regards,

Private support: