Putting links to merged project in the main project

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rob Davis

Putting links to merged project in the main project

Unread post by Rob Davis »

Hi
We have a very large 'Old Project' that contains the Help and User Manual for our main application. (It is published s a .chm and as a .pdf)
I recently wrote a 'Guide to setting up new functionality' as a stand-alone smaller project.
Both projects are saved as .hmxp.

The smaller project was added as a child topic in the larger ToC. When I did the Insert Topic dialog, I referenced a secondary ToC in the smaller project (to leave out it's Introductions, etc - not needed in the larger project.)

Now,the Topics of the child project are in the ToC of the larger topic, I can compile the whole thing, and I get a reasonable test version .chm and .pdf files
But I cannot find how to create links in the main project to the ToC items in the smaller (child). The Topics in the included ToC show up fine but are not shown in the 'Insert Links' dialog.

How can I create links in the 'Old Project' that will reference ToC items in the 'Child Project?

Thanks
Rob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Putting links to merged project in the main project

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rob,

Links to topics are actually to topic files, not to TOC entries, so the TOC you are using should not play a role here. If the topic you want to link to is in the project you are targeting and you select that project as the target in the Link tool, you should see the IDs of all of its topics in the the target list. The only case where you might get problems is if you have ID conflicts between the master and child project (same IDs in both projects).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rob Davis

Hi Tim
Thanks for the response.
Putting it in your wording - when I open the Link tool in the main project, it does not show the topics that are in the child project.
The attached screenshot shows a portion of the long ToC (that includes the child project), and you should see that the child topic 'License' does not appear in the list of available links.
What am I doing wrong?
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Davis

Found a partial solution - I had saved the Child project as an .hmxp - changing this to .hmxz helped - I can now drag Tropic links by selecting ToC entries into the place where I want the link.
They still do not show in the Link Tool.
But it's a start . . . .
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Rob,

If you look at the bottom of the dialog shown in your screenshot there is an option called Help File:, which is set to "Current". If you select the child project there you will get a list of the child project's topics. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.