Adding Gmail Feedback Option to a V3 Premium Pack Skin

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

sizbut

Adding Gmail Feedback Option to a V3 Premium Pack Skin

Unread post by sizbut »

I've seen this asked for and I had it as an option in my old HMv4 templates and seriously miss it. So today I got it working in a HMv7 Premium Pack 3 skin.

The basic URL required is:

Code: Select all

http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=bob@example.com&su=SubjectText&body=Comments
- where the email address, subject text and comments are replaced with your own text (using URL encoding such as %20 for spaces).

In my skin I have add a Gmail feedback function in the postloadFunc.js file:

/* Gmail Feedback! */
function gmailFeedback() { 
     var emailTo = 'bob@example.com';
     var topicTitle = window.document.title;
     var topicURL = window.location.href;

window.open('http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=' + emailTo + '&su=IP Office KB:%20' + encodeURIComponent(topicTitle) + '&body=URL:%20' + encodeURIComponent(topicURL) + '%0D%0A%0D%0AEnter your comments here:%20','_blank');
     }
For my skin that function is currently called when required using a link in the header created by adding the following to HM_HEADERMENU.html:

<li><a href="javascript:gmailFeedback();" target="_blank" alt="Gmail" title="Gmail">Gmail</a></li>
Obviously it only works for Gmail and the user has to have a Gmail account (but since that set of users includes me I'm obviously a fan).
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Adding Gmail Feedback Option to a V3 Premium Pack Skin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Obviously it only works for Gmail and the user has to have a Gmail account (but since that set of users includes me I'm obviously a fan).
And that's why it's not built in. People who use Gmail will generally also be using Chrome or Firefox, and then they can easily configure their browser to be the standard client for mailto links. Internet Explorer users can achieve this by installing the Google toolbar; but let's face it, someone using IE as their default browser is unlikely to be using GMail. The same applies to Edge... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.