Progress in Batch execution?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Christian Kessner

Progress in Batch execution?

Unread post by Christian Kessner »

It would be nice to see a progress in the steps of batch export.
The PDF I'm printing has 578 pages, and it takes minutes to print. One wonders if it's actually still working.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Progress in Batch execution?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Christian,

If you activate the /debug switch you will get information on the process and an error message if anything goes wrong, but no progress report as such. The batch compiler only has exit codes with either success or failure or warning messages when it is finished so that it can be smoothly integrated into automated build processes. It doesn't currently have a "verbose" switch, although we might add one in the future.
The PDF I'm printing has 578 pages, and it takes minutes to print.
How many minutes? I just generated the HM help as a PDF and its over 1,600 pages took just over a minute. What system are you publishing on? If your project and/or output folders are on network drives that can slow you down massively.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Christian Kessner

Unread post by Christian Kessner »

From the moment where it says "Printing Document", it takes around 3 to 4 minutes.
Interestingly, the build that includes some pages from a project on a network drive, took 3 minutes, whereas the build that doesn't include these pages, took 4 minutes.
19 pages are from a project on a network drive, the major part is saved locally.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Christian,

What really takes the most time is when your output folder for publishing is not local. Reading the project source is a less important issue. Fastest performance will be on a local drive that is also a fast SSD.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.