Collabnet SVN Error Message

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sean Godley

Collabnet SVN Error Message

Unread post by Sean Godley »

Hi all,

I just reolcated from my office to start working remoately. Our network admin guy set up an SVN in order for me to be able to download/upload the work that I do. The manuals I am working on downloaded fine, but there was the following error message on the side of the application when I opened them to start editing:

"Your project ... is under SVN version control. The newer tortoise SVN client installed on your system requires the additional installation of the Collabnet SVN command line client. This Collabnet client must have the same version number as your version of Tortoise for Help+Manual to be able to interact with the SVN system correctly".

Can anyone provide further information on what the issue is here? As mentioned, the manuals downloaded okay - I have been editing them and will be uploading my work later in the week. However, I am hesitant to do this, as any uploaded work will overwrite the existing manuals - and if there are any issues then the work and the manuals (thousands of pages) could be lost.

Any input hungely appreciated.

Sean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Collabnet SVN Error Message

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sean,

What has happened here is that Tortoise stopped including the DLLs required for communication between 32-bit applications like H+M and SVN on 64-bit versions of Windows. These components are now only available from Collabnet. It's annoying, but they're free and it's just a 6MB download and a single click installation. It's all explained here:

http://news.helpandmanual.com/2016/08/r ... toise-svn/
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sean Godley

Great - thanks Tim. I installed an older version of Tortoise and everything is now working fine.

Cheers,

Sean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Sean Godley wrote:Great - thanks Tim. I installed an older version of Tortoise and everything is now working fine.
That's fine, but do make sure that the version of Tortoise you are using matches the version of SVN you have installed on your server. It will generally work OK even with a mismatch but theoretically you could get data errors if they don't match. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sean Godley

Absolutely - my manager sent me the correct version to use, so we are now firing on all cylinders!

Thanks again,

Sean