Suggestion for image toggles - setting expanded size

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

itexnz

Suggestion for image toggles - setting expanded size

Unread post by itexnz »

I want a bit more control over toggles.

At the moment it is only possible to specify the thumbnail size, not also the expanded size. Most of the time this is fine but sometimes depending on the image or pagination I also want to specify that when the print image is expanded it only expands to say 80% of the document width or of picture size.

I realise that I could use an If / Else section and insert the image twice - once as a standard image set to a specific size for PDF/DOC and once as a toggle for online help... but it would be nice to just do things once nice and simple :)
David Scott
Documentation Infrastructure Consultant
https://www.sourceone.co.nz
SourceOne. Documentation, engineered.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion for image toggles - setting expanded size

Unread post by Tim Green »

This is already implemented in a slightly different way in the Premium Pack skins. There, a toggle image will never expand to be larger than the current browser window. If the native resolution is larger a (+) icon is displayed, with which the user can expand the image to full size if they want.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
itexnz

Unread post by itexnz »

Yes but this does not help me with PDF/DOC outputs... the web-based outputs functionality is fine, but I'd like to be able to specify that the expanded size for 'print' formats is limited to 70% or whatever. Some images can just take up too much space on a page. Thanks

David
David Scott
Documentation Infrastructure Consultant
https://www.sourceone.co.nz
SourceOne. Documentation, engineered.
Svetlana Akulova

Unread post by Svetlana Akulova »

Hello! I have the same problem with the images when you publish to PDF. Is there no solution?
Because if in the Edit Toggle I remove the sign "Print: Expanded" for the image, and the attribute "Thumbnail" set, for example, 70%, when compiling it greatly degrades the quality of the image.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Svetlana Akulova wrote:Hello! I have the same problem with the images when you publish to PDF. Is there no solution?
Because if in the Edit Toggle I remove the sign "Print: Expanded" for the image, and the attribute "Thumbnail" set, for example, 70%, when compiling it greatly degrades the quality of the image.
That is what the Print:Expanded setting is for. At the moment there is no way to limit the expanded size for this, other than putting the toggle inside a table.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Svetlana Akulova

Tim Green wrote:At the moment there is no way to limit the expanded size for this, other than putting the toggle inside a table.
Thanks for the answer, Tim. You mean that I can add a single-cell table to a page, and put an image in that cell. In the table properties in the field Size table manually set the value of 30%. Despite this, when publishing to PDF, the image is still displayed large, and its width is clearly greater than 30% of the page width.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Svetlana,

It's not an absolute solution. Generally speaking, Help+Manual tries to protect the integrity of your layout by preventing content from expanding so far that it "bursts" the table. However, it won't do that if the table also has space to expand; only if the table itself is already filling all the available space.
Regards,

Private support:
Svetlana Akulova

Ok, Tim, I understand. Thanks for the explanation. I was able to find a more or less suitable solution. Now I use Impict to reduce the size of the image, if necessary, because although it worsens the quality with a little compression, but the result is acceptable. :)