Format text to the bottom of a page?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Christian Kessner

Format text to the bottom of a page?

Unread post by Christian Kessner »

Is it possible somehow to configure text to be placed at the bottom of a page?
To make it more clear, we have an intro page with some general information and a "footer" with copyright etc. information.
I would like to have that information in the bottom of the page when printed in PDF.
I also need it in webhelp, though, and I would also like to have some space between the rest of the content and this information.
However, I feel like adding paragraphs is not an elegant solution for this.
Is there something better?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Format text to the bottom of a page?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Christian,

If you want a footer in PDF you need to add it to the PDF template, not your project. You can source the text from your project using the text snippet function in the Insert menu in PDF Manual Designer. You create a topic for it in your project without a TOC entry, which you do by creating the topic in the Topic Files section. (Or you can create it in the TOC and then delete the TOC entry by selecting it in the TOC, pressing DEL and then unchecking the option to delete the associated file in the dialog displayed. Then the topic will be available in Topic files.)

Then you make a note of the topic ID (in the Topic Options tab) and use that to insert the snippet in the template. If a topic with that ID is found when you publish the project with the template, then its contents will be inserted in the snippet box (including formatting).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
julio

Re: Format text to the bottom of a page?

Unread post by julio »

You can easily create this type of text by configuring a template file (.mnl). For example, the cover page for our documents is configured like this image (on the Cover tab):
pdf_input.png
And then the output is like this:
pdf_output.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.