PDF -- add section name to PDF Bookmarks

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

PDF -- add section name to PDF Bookmarks

Unread post by John Johann »

Hi,
I have a single PDF mnl layout for different language output.

I pass variables, e.g. for the title of the Table of Contents in the PDF (<%my_TOC%> = "Table of contents" or "Inhaltsverzeichnis" ...).

In the TOC page settings, I have the variable <%my_TOC%> entered at "PDF Bookmark Text" to output the language-specific text to the bookmarks in the PDF.

On my Cover page, I pass text snippets (e.g., "Text snippet - Source: 00_project_title_cover") instead of variables for the document title as the document title usually contains superscript which isn't super :-) if I pass a variable. I need the document title in the PDF bookmarks. However, entering "Text snippet - Source: 00_project_title_cover" at "PDF Bookmark Text" gives me that text instead of its contents.

How do I do this?
Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PDF -- add section name to PDF Bookmarks

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

You can only enter a variable or plain text in fields like the bookmark text field. You can't reference snippets there; snippets can only be placed on the page of a manual template section, using the snippet tool.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Hi Tim,
Thought you might say that.

Is it possible to influence the hierarchy of the bookmarks?

I'm hoping to avoid post-publishing editing of the PDF. I'd like to be able to have the cover bookmark as the parent (would be great if I could format the text automatically) and have the other bookmarks indented below the cover.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,
Is it possible to influence the hierarchy of the bookmarks?
Yes, but only by changing the structure of your TOC or the order of the user-created sections in your PDF template (the standard sections can't be re-ordered). The bookmarks TOC is a 1:1 representation of the actual structure of the PDF, so it can only be changed by changing the structure. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Hi Tim,
thanks -- looks like I'll have to edit after publishing then.