unnecessary "Index" entry in Table of Contents

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Robert McConnell

unnecessary "Index" entry in Table of Contents

Unread post by Robert McConnell »

PDF publishing produces an unwanted and unnecessary "Index" entry at the end of the Table of Contents. No keyword index is included, nor was one intended to be included. Any ideas on how to eliminate the entry?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: unnecessary "Index" entry in Table of Contents

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Robert,

In the PDF template, select the Table of Contents section and delete the text object containing the word "Index" and the object to the right of it containing the variable for the page number reference. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Robert McConnell

Many thanks, that takes care of the problem.

I don't know how difficult it would be, but it would be nice to have the ability to temporarily disable template objects. In this case, because of time pressures, the initial version of a manual will have to go out without an index. Later as time permits the index will be included. The disable/enable feature would avoid the necessity of having to reconstruct and test the template "index" object when it's finally time to include the index.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Robert,

Disabling and enabling the index itself is very simple, you just activate or deactivate the Print this Section option in the Index' page options. You can disable the Index reference in the table of contents without deleting it by changing the height of the band that contains it to 0 in the page options. Alternatively, you could just use Save As... to create a different version of the template with the index off and the TOC reference to it removed.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Robert McConnell

Tim,

Thanks for the suggestions. They are definitely all reasonable possibilities, one or more of which I will use.

I was just suggesting a feature that, if it were easy to implement, might minimize the need for for maintaining multiple, almost duplicate, copies of templates and/or editing and unediting template entries. All of which increase the possibility of costly blunders under time pressures.

-rob