TFS 2017 support

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

lcravopt

TFS 2017 support

Unread post by lcravopt »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Help & Manual has support for TFS 2017? If so, which version?

Thanks,
Luis
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: TFS 2017 support

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Luis,

Support for TFS 2017 is not currently available. It will be coming in a future version, but not in the short term. The problem is that Microsoft makes such radical changes to the interface of each version of TFS that it becomes more like a new system rather than an update. As a result, a very large amount of work and testing is required for supporting each version.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
lcravopt

Unread post by lcravopt »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

At the company we currently have HM 6.5.5 with TFS 2010 and we are planning on upgrading it because we are also upgrading our infrastructure to TFS 2017.

Since your latest version still doesn't support this TFS version, I'm guessing that all the version control would need to be done outside HM and that would cause some hassle to the documentation process, like project synchronization, auto checkout of files.

Can you tell me if we'll have any major obstacle to this approach?

thansk,
Luis
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Luis,
lcravopt wrote:Can you tell me if we'll have any major obstacle to this approach?
Not really. All you actually lose are the icon overlays in the Help+Manual TOC and the ability to do a combined update/commit from within Help+Manual. Users would need to pull their own working copies and remember to do a manual update before starting work and a manual commit after finishing work to merge their changes with the repository.

You might actually see it as a benefit on one level, because if you do it like that you could include your HM projects as part of another TFS project if you want. If you have active integration with HM you can't do that, because HM needs to insist on having its own exclusive TFS project for each HM project. This is because TFS doesn't have any mechanisms to protect the HM data from access by other users of the project, particularly Visual Studio. We can't take responsibility for exposing the project to those risks, but you can if you understand the issues and are willing to take care that the data doesn't get touched by any other users of the same project. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.