Find (search) anomaly

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Find (search) anomaly

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

When I begin a search of All Topics from Here topics for "chrome," I get no hits. The "here" is the first topic under Table of Contents, i.e., the first topic with words I have added rather than system-generated.

When I restrict the search to a page where "chrome" exists, Find finds it:

What might cause this anomaly? The fact that "chrome" is in a bulleted list?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Find (search) anomaly

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

I just double-checked this and it appears to be working fine. One important thing to understand is that the search in both Current Topic and All Topics from Here always starts at the current cursor position in the current topic. So if your cursor position is after the search term, it won't be found. What may have happened is that the first time you searched the cursor was positioned after the search term, and the second time you searched you clicked in the topic and positioned it before the term.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Some kind of strangeness, then. In the first, no-hit search, I had positioned the cursor at the beginning of the first topic.

On the second, topic-only search, I had the cursor at the top as well.

I just went down the TOC tree until I got to the topic where "chrome" actually appears. When I use "All topics from Here," there are no hits, even when starting at the top of the topic that contains "Chrome," second pic above.

I'm in Windows 10 Pro 64, latest @%$#@ Windows 10 update, H+M 7.3.5 4434. Last complete OS reboot, last night.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

Hmm... To make sure that we are both on the same page, please mail me a small project with which you can reproduce the effect at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) so that I can test it directly. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

please mail me a small project with which you can reproduce the effect at support AT ec-software.com
I've done this. Thanks for taking it on.