Running changes, "protect text," and Comment advice, please

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Running changes, "protect text," and Comment advice, please

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

This is for translation management.

I've decided to follow H+M's help file advice to mark running changes with a Comment. However, after adding a comment about a change, I looked at the XML. It does not appear that the comment is protected from translation by the translate="false" attribute.

Question 1: what keeps Comments from being translated?

If they ARE lurking unprotected in the path of the translator,

Question 2: how do I make sure that Comments are indeed out of the translation line of fire? After adding the comment, go back, manually select the comment, and click on the padlock to protect it from change?

And a related padlock question:
Question 3: Why, after applying a padlock, can I not just select the shaded area, Right-click, and select Convert to plain text?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Running changes, "protect text," and Comment advice, ple

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

Comments aren't "protectable" because they aren't formattable and the protected attribute is really a normal formatting function, like bold or italics. However, since they are clearly tagged you just need to tell your translators to ignore and/or filter them out.
Why, after applying a padlock, can I not just select the shaded area, Right-click, and select Convert to plain text?
Because the protected function is really just a formatting attribute, like bold or italics, and needs to be reversed in the same way.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

OK.

While this is a further question that I should ask the Trados Studio forum, do you know if Studio has a way to filter these out automatically?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Dave Gehman wrote:While this is a further question that I should ask the Trados Studio forum, do you know if Studio has a way to filter these out automatically?
Sorry, as you guessed that's a question for the Trados people... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.