Modular Build Conditions

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

LauraPro1

Modular Build Conditions

Unread post by LauraPro1 »

Hi, I am new to H+M7 and need guidance on build conditions. I understand how to do this within my help topics through the use of variables.

However I want to build a .CHM file that includes certain topics or chapters based on similar variables. For example, my master help file contains BUILD IDs of PRODUCT_A, PRODUCT_B and PRODUCT_C. When I publish, I understand how to select the include options I want. But can I set Topic_ID or chapter specific variables? For example, can I set a variable that if both Topic_ID1 and Topic_ID2 are included in a PRODUCT_A build, Topic_ID1 will automatically supercede and replace Topic_ID2? Because there are some instances that I want both topics in the same .CHM file, and other times that I do not.

If I cannot set a topic or chapter specific variable, my guess is that I need to use a modular help file. Please advise - thank you! :D
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Modular Build Conditions

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Laura,

To apply build options to a topic, select the topic in the TOC, then right-click on it and you can select the options to apply in the Include in Builds sub-menu. Alternatively just select it and select Change > Include in Builds in the Project tab under the Manage Topics section.

IMPORTANT: You must apply the build options to every single topic you want to include or exclude (you can select multiple topics with CTRL+Click and SHIFT+Click). If you only select a chapter its entries won't be included in the output, but its topic files WILL be included in the background (WebHelp, CHM and EWriter) because they have not been excluded specifically. Then those topics will be there in the output, just without TOC entries, and they can be found with search and the keyword index.
can I set a variable that if both Topic_ID1 and Topic_ID2 are included in a PRODUCT_A build, Topic_ID1 will automatically supercede and replace Topic_ID2?
That isn't possible because build options use a simple OR logic. That means that if one or more options is true, the topic will be included. Complex conditions like the one you describe aren't currently possible. For full details on conditional output in Help+Manual please study this chapter in the help:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/inde ... itions.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.