Ebook with video

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Philippe Dupond

Ebook with video

Unread post by Philippe Dupond »

Hello
Sorry, but I speak English very badly ...
I am creating under Help and manual an ebooks with a video mp4
I would like to put this video in full screen.
Is there a shortcut or javascript function?
Thank you very much for your answers and have a nice day ..
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Ebook with video

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Philippe,

Your English is fine. 8) What kind of eBook are you creating: ePUB, Kindle/Mobi or eWriter? You can't include videos at all in ePUB or Kindle eBooks; you can only put links to them there, and in most eBook readers you can't even do that, because they will not play videos. For example, you can't play a video on a Kindle or a Kobi reader.

If you are using EWriter you can use video but you can't switch to full screen. That is a restriction of the embedded web browser that needs to be used in the EWriter viewer. This also applies for online videos such as YouTube and Vimeo.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Philippe Dupond

Hi Tim,
Thank you for your answer. I use Ewriter and books for windows.
There is no possibility to add a javascript function that could resize the video?
Thank you...
Philippe Dupond

I have another question ... I can not start reading automatically ...
I have yet set autostart = 1 and autoplay = 1 but it does not work.
I also have another problem. That I compile in CHM or Ewriter Ebooks during the compilation it replaces some characters of text by others ... I thought it was an accent problem but even the characters without accent are changing ...
If someone has an idea...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Philippe,
There is no possibility to add a javascript function that could resize the video?
No. That is physically impossible because the browser is encapsulated inside the EWriter viewer.
Philippe Dupond wrote:I have another question ... I can not start reading automatically ...
I have yet set autostart = 1 and autoplay = 1 but it does not work.

That depends on the video format and the video you are using. If you are using a local video you must use MP4 encoded with an Apple profile. Nowadays no other video format will work reliably on Windows.
I also have another problem. That I compile in CHM or Ewriter Ebooks during the compilation it replaces some characters of text by others ... I thought it was an accent problem but even the characters without accent are changing ...
If someone has an idea...
That is just because you are using the free trial version, where random words are scrambled in the output. This is explained in the text displayed automatically on every topic exported with the trial version. When you purchase Help+Manual and unlock with your license codes this restriction will be removed.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Philippe Dupond

thank you very much Tim
I can not encode my videos. I use Handbrake as recommended in the help but at each compilation it crashes and tells me that it lacks memory. In addition, I still can not start playback automatically.
In Handbrake I took the profile Apple TV, Ipad, Apple TV 2, Apple TV 3 but without success ...
Help!!!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Philippe,

Sorry, but we can't provide help on video programs here, only on Help+Manual and our own related tools.. :?

It is also really much much better to put your video on YouTube or Vimeo and embed that. That is the only way to get maximum compatibility for all your users. When you embed your own video it can only be one version, but for full compatibility you need multiple versions for different browsers and platforms, and the online services handle all that for you automatically.
Regards,

Private support: