"Keep Paragraphs Together" with snippets

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rainer Oehry

"Keep Paragraphs Together" with snippets

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

I want to keep a snippet with the next paragraph. I can place the cursor before the snippet, after the snippet, or highlight the snippet, and then select "keep paragraph with next", it does not work. Although the inserted snippet "occupies" its own paragraph including a paragraph end marker, and despite the fact that I can select the "Keep paragraph with next" option for the "snippet paragraph", it does not work. I have to select this option in the (last paragraph within the) snippet to work as expected.

Is this the intended behavior?
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: "Keep Paragraphs Together" with snippets

Unread post by Tim Green »

Rainer Oehry wrote:Is this the intended behavior?
Yes, that is correct. When you insert a linked snippet, it is just a placeholder. There is nothing there that you can "format" because when you publish, both the placeholder and the paragraph containing it are replaced entirely by the contents of the snippet.

However, if the snippet only contains a single paragraph there is a trick you could use to get around this: In the snippet dialog (double-click on the snippet to re-open it) turn the option "Snippet begins a new paragraph" OFF. The snippet will then be displayed as a small box inside the current paragraph. Then make sure that there is at least one space after the snippet and format the paragraph with your "keep with next" options. Since the snippet is then just being inserted inside that paragraph, it will keep its paragraph attributes. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rainer Oehry

Re: "Keep Paragraphs Together" with snippets

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

Hi Tim,

thank you, understood. It is just somewhat irritating that the snippets look like a "real" paragraphs, including the paragraph options etc., but don't end up "behaving" like that. I will get used to it …

And thanks for the idea for the "inline workaround". Although I often use inline snippets, I did not think of that …
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria