Want to add an extra space after default numbering style...

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

itexnz

Want to add an extra space after default numbering style...

Unread post by itexnz »

Where I have numbered lists with more than 9 entries I am trying to prevent the number getting too crowded as shown in the screenshot

at the moment I would have to manually apply the styling when I have a list greater than 9. That's a pain

There does not seem to be a way to get this to happen by default - I've tried a bit of playing with <config-group name="liststyles">

Hoping I can reduce the checks and additional steps I have to do - got many hundreds of pages of content

PS. A tip For those interested in how to do the custom number colouring/sizing shown in the screenshot, who didn't realise (like me for ages) that this could be done -- that is done by adding an extra space at the end of the first line list item, which has custom style applied to the space itself. I have a keyboard shortcut to achieve that, e.g. highlight that space, press CTRL+SHIFT+H or whatever you want to use to apply that custom style
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Scott
Documentation Infrastructure Consultant
https://www.sourceone.co.nz
SourceOne. Documentation, engineered.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Want to add an extra space after default numbering style

Unread post by Tim Green »

There is an easier way to do this: Just increase the hanging indent of the list. By default, lists have a small hanging indent that is enough for single digits and small bullets. If you want something larger, you just need to manually increase the hanging indent of the first list item/paragraph, which you can also do with a style. This controls the indents for the entire list, and that increases them all. If you're using a style it's better to apply it to the entire list; then you can split the list into two lists if necessary without losing the indent for the new list. See here in the help for details on controlling list indents and other related things:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... styles.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
itexnz

Unread post by itexnz »

Hi, thanks but problem is that solution would require all authors to do the same thing and in my experience they will not, leaving to inconsistencies in formatting from one list/document to another. Trying to make it idiot proof is key... Otherwise I have to do it all myself and my OCD can't take it any more haha.
Please put it on a wishlist to change the default behaviour :-)
David Scott
Tim Green
Site Admin

itexnz wrote:Hi, thanks but problem is that solution would require all authors to do the same thing and in my experience they will not,
The only solution to that is a) Use styles instead of manual formatting and b) Use centralized style repositories, which standardize your styles across multiple projects and make it possible for only one person to be able to edit the styles, if necessary. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
itexnz

Unread post by itexnz »

Thanks, I already use styles in repositories for as much of this kinda stuff as I can (hence my experimentation to force it via config-group name="liststyles") but I also need to avoid creating too many styles (which become almost as fiddly as authors manually applying inline formatting), I already require one style to create my custom bullet/number colours, if I also have to apply a style to adjust the hanging indent of the lists then there's flow on requirements for other styles to indent normal paragraphs - e.g. if I have non-numbered/bulleted paragraphs or screenshots in between those numbered/bullet items. I really just need a little extra gap after the number's dot.
The last thing I want to see is a situation like in MS Word where the proliferation of styles in that becomes as unsustainable as the wild west that styles were meant to fix. Authors are prone to just manually applying formatting if they believe even for a split second they have to, and my experience of human nature is people really just don't think before they act... just like Brexit and Trump lol
I'm becoming such a cynic, but justifiably so!
Thanks for the suggestions though, always great responsiveness here :)
David Scott
Tim Green
Site Admin

Authors are prone to just manually applying formatting if they believe even for a split second they have to,
I know... :roll: I've often thought it might be a good idea to be able to have an option to disable manual formatting completely when projects are linked to a style repository. :twisted:
Regards,

Private support:
itexnz

Unread post by itexnz »

I've also just noticed that even with no extra formatting applied, numbered lists behave oddly in web outputs above two digits - pdf is ok

It's not likely anyone would create a list with this many points (unless they are legal / policy writers) but definitely something that needs addressing
2018-07-04_9-11-46.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Scott
Tim Green
Site Admin

itexnz wrote:I've also just noticed that even with no extra formatting applied, numbered lists behave oddly in web outputs above two digits - pdf is ok
This is normal. It's because of the embedded standard indent that is configured for single-digit lists and small bullets. If you create lists with more digits or wider bullets you need to change the indent manually. Again, see here:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... styles.htm
Regards,

Private support: