Invalid character in string: XE

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

itexnz

Invalid character in string: XE

Unread post by itexnz »

I see these compiler messages when publishing to DOCX

Invalid character in string: XE "semantics semantics:glossary definition"C:\Dev\default\documents\H+M_Framework\...docx [View topic]

Invalid character in string: XE "stemming stemming:glossary definition"C:\Dev\default\documents\H+M_Framework\...docx [View topic]

Invalid character in string: XE "stemming stemming:glossary definition"C:\Dev\default\documents\H+M_Framework\...docx [View topic]

It seems to occur when I have keywords setup in snippet files that are used in the main project.

The resulting DOCX file builds ok but the Index section has some weirdness probably caused by these so called invalid character strings, the index will look something like this...

S

semantics · 43
semanticsWXsemantics
glossary definition · 8, 81
stemmingVWstemming
glossary definition · 81
synonyms · 53
synonymsVWsynonyms
glossary definition · 8, 81
syntaxTUsyntax
glossary definition · 81
David Scott
Documentation Infrastructure Consultant
https://www.sourceone.co.nz
SourceOne. Documentation, engineered.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Invalid character in string: XE

Unread post by Tim Green »

Please send a small demo project showing the issue to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it out right away. Include at least one snippet file that you are using, please. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Svetlana Akulova

Unread post by Svetlana Akulova »

Hello!
Immediately apologize for the large images, I just want it to be clear.
I have an interesting situation with toggles when compiling a document in docx. I see this message: "Invalid character in string" too.

I see that the reason is in the toggle, because we see a yellow selection of the fragment with a dot and some space.
After that I go to the problem topic and open the corresponding toggle. I put the cursor after the dot where there is clearly no space or any character.

Then I press Backspace. You can see that something has changed: in fact, the backspace operation did not delete anything, but the paths to the icons became "visible".

After that the document compiles in docx well.
But what are these invisible symbols? :?
There is no such problem when compiling in chm.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Svetlana,
After that the document compiles in docx well.
But what are these invisible symbols? :?
There is no such problem when compiling in chm.
What happened here is most likely that you accidentally inserted a non-printing character with a key combination while you were editing the caption for the toggle. If you look in the XML editor tab when something like this happens you can usually see the space for the character there, even if it is not visible in the editor. The fact that you were able to delete it shows that it was there.

As to why Word gags on it and not CHM: Word often behaves quite strangely and it has strange "allergies" against some kinds of characters. As normal HTML, CHM is sometimes more forgiving, at least as regards topic content. However, CHM has its own problems in other areas... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Svetlana Akulova

Tim Green wrote:If you look in the XML editor tab when something like this happens you can usually see the space for the character there, even if it is not visible in the editor. The fact that you were able to delete it shows that it was there.
Yeah.. I understand. I looked at the XML editor tab and see that in the problem area as if a line break. But while I can not understand what could trigger such a "line break". :?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Svetlana Akulova wrote:Yeah.. I understand. I looked at the XML editor tab and see that in the problem area as if a line break. But while I can not understand what could trigger such a "line break". :?
Windows can input all kinds of characters with the help of key combinations, particularly in combination with the ALT key. If you are a fast touch typist it is quite easy to accidentally hit a combination that inserts a special character or triggers a surprising function. If the character doesn't display you won't notice it and so you just go on typing. I quite often accidentally trigger Windows functions that I didn't know could be reached that way -- unfortunately I almost never know which key combination I hit to get it... :roll:
Regards,

Private support:
Svetlana Akulova

Yes, I agree with you.
Thanks a lot!
Of course, this is not such a big problem, but it is interesting. :)