chm window size

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Mikhail Apacs

chm window size

Unread post by Mikhail Apacs »

Hello!
I've positioned my project with Position Wisard, but it seems have no effect: I publish it(.chm), but window still opens on almost fullscreen. When i press F1 from software - still the same.
http://prntscr.com/knqfpc
How can i manage chm window size?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: chm window size

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mikhail,

By default, the setting for the window size and position is only really controlled the very first time you open that CHM on that computer. After that the last position and size set by the user is used. You can switch it off and control it completely, but that will really annoy your users and make them complain. If that is what you want 8) you can change the setting by deselecting the option "Save help window size and position in registry" in the same section as the window size and position settings. I really don't recommend it, however...
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mikhail Apacs

I did not know that moment, thanks!

But in absolutely new project (chm opens for the first time) Default position works strange: File opens in top right corner, but not in the center, as shown in Wizard. :vconfused:

We tried it on many computers (with 1, 2 and 3 monitors).
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Mikhail,
But in absolutely new project (chm opens for the first time) Default position works strange: File opens in top right corner, but not in the center, as shown in Wizard.
Is this happening when it is opened automatically by Help+Manual after publishing or when you open the CHM from your application? We have noticed this ourselves a couple of times recently and are trying to investigate when and why it is.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mikhail Apacs

Both: it is happening after publishing AND when its opened from application.
I just download fresh Trial version from HnM website, install it on virtual machine — same.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Mikhail Apacs wrote:Both: it is happening after publishing AND when its opened from application.
I just download fresh Trial version from HnM website, install it on virtual machine — same.
That's not surprising because nothing has been changed there. This will probably take a while as it's not yet clear what's happening here. My guess is that it may be related to high-resolution screens and/or strange coordinates generated by multi-monitor systems.

You might try doing manually entered values. For example, top and left positions of 200 pixels and dimensions of 800 x 600 pixels should avoid problems on almost all current screens.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Notes:

Whatever you set, remember that the problem is always only there the first time the user opens the CHM. As soon as they reposition and resize the CHM window then that size is stored.

If you set the default position (-1 in all fields) then the user's dimensions and position are always stored and the option to store the positions in the registry is ignored. If you set a manual position then you should now ALWAYS set the option to store the user's dimensions and position. There are now so many different monitor sizes and resolutions that any size and position you set will always cause problems on some users' displays.
Regards,

Private support: