multiple TOCs with different titles

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

simon harris

multiple TOCs with different titles

Unread post by simon harris »

Hi Tim,

I am trying to set up a project that has multiple TOCs - each one a different language, but pointing to the same topic file [in this case, drawings so always the same]. I use the <%TOPICTITLE%> as part of my PDF template config - the topic title is shown down the page edge to make it easier to find topics. Thing is, I seem to be getting output that mixes up the title and TOC entries. To explain, if I publish my EN TOC, the TOC in the output is fine. The topic headings in the output are also fine, but the topic title is whatever is was last saved as; for example, Russian. Is there perhaps a way around this?

Thanks kindly and all the best,
Simon
All the best,
Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: multiple TOCs with different titles

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

Hmm... The problem here is that the text for that variable belongs to the topic file, not to the TOC entry. That means there is only one copy of it, because the topic exists only once. What you need to do here is create separate topics with their own IDs in each TOC, then they can also have separate titles. The second version should not have any content of its own. Instead, you insert the first topic into it as a linked snippet. Then you get separate sets of meta information for each version of the topic as you need, but still only need to edit one version for the identical content in both. Since the copy is a linked snippet you can also add additional content above and below it, if necessary.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
simon harris

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion; yes, I could do that. I was also just thinking - could I also use a topic variable? As in create a custom variable, say, "<%TOPICNAME%> and use the topic variable setting to customise the value of it on a per topic basis and also call that variable in the PDF template? Seeing as I have just asked, I will try it reet neuw.

All the best,
Simon
All the best,
Simon
simon harris

Seems to work, but still linked to the original topic file. Darn. I will have to use snippets. :D
All the best,
Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

simon harris wrote:Seems to work, but still linked to the original topic file. Darn. I will have to use snippets. :D
Yep. A single file is a single file... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.