SVG graphic performance

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

simon harris

Re: SVG graphic performance

Unread post by simon harris »

Gents,

I guess its finding the compromise that will satisfy the input, as in what the author has to do that is reasonable in terms of the background process to "get" the required image quality, and satisfy the output, which is for the user to be able to read and understand the drawings. In this case, the output is not web-based, but ye olde PDF, which although I am no fan of, is just the way it is.

PDFs of images are easy for me to create by way of "printing to PDF" from my acad drawing viewer software. If I were able to use them directly in my H&M project, that would save some fluffing about - a lot actually and still maintain the vectorisation [zoom zoom zoom] in the output. I did experiments with the OLE object type PDF insertion into H&M, but it appears fragile. Fragile enough to be too risky an approach to adopt. Similarly with SVG, its not that it cannot be used, but the additional overhead I am finding with it is not worth the effort at the end of the day when dealing with so many drawings.
All the best,
Simon
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Simon,

If you've got working PDFs, why not just put them in the Baggage Files rather than try to insert them in the topics? Users could then click on a link in the topic to open them for printing or zoomable viewing. The link could be a plain text link, or a smaller PNG image of the drawing.

cheers,

Martin.
simon harris

Hi Martin,

To be honest, I've never understood "baggage files", so had no idea that they could be used this way. So, effectively I could supply nothing more than a TOC then, right?

Unfortunately, our customers like to print the manuals and keep hard copies - these particular ones are used by maintenance staff so are likely kept in a workshop library as well as computer. I am already anticipating some poo-pooing over the fact that the drawings are physically smaller now because they are now squeezed onto A4 portrait instead of A3 landscape, so literally less than half the old format.
All the best,
Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

To be honest, I've never understood "baggage files", so had no idea that they could be used this way.
The baggage is really just a bucket for files you want to include in your output. Everything you put there will get exported to your WebHelp folder along with the other files. The caveat is that if you put a lot of large files there you should use the uncompressed HMXP format. In single-file HMXZ the files would bloat the single project file (they're all stored inside) and would have to be unnecessarily unpacked into memmory when you edit the project.
So, effectively I could supply nothing more than a TOC then, right?
Not quite. You'd still have to have topics to insert the files in.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

simon harris wrote:To be honest, I've never understood "baggage files", so had no idea that they could be used this way. So, effectively I could supply nothing more than a TOC then, right? Unfortunately, our customers like to print the manuals and keep hard copies
Hi Simon,

Not just a TOC. Each page would have a link to a drawing (or several links to several drawings). The link would ideally be a small PNG of the drawing, but could be a plain text link. When clicked the drawing would open in their PDF reader, where it can be zoomed for screen viewing or printed as required to any size.

Your customers like to print off 300 A2 drawings? All in one go? How are you distributing them at present?

cheers,

Martin.
simon harris

Hi Tim and Martin,

Yeah, they do print the drawings off (generally A3 landscape) as to have a "workshop manual". We used to actually provide the printing service [well before my time here], but now just give em the PDF and let them sort out what they want. It is a little bit archaic, but this is the tradition and I don't see it shifting away much. If I were able to rely on the PDF OLE function, that would be a good solution, but its not solid.
All the best,
Simon
Martin Wynne

simon harris wrote:If I were able to rely on the PDF OLE function, that would be a good solution, but its not solid.
Hi Simon,

I don't understand what is different if you link the PDF file to a PNG thumbnail image on the page? They click it, it opens in a PDF reader, they print it. Just as the OLE option would do.

OLE is a total pain to use, compared with the simplicity of making a PNG screenshot of the drawing in the reader, and linking it to the file. H&M includes an automated screenshot function if you don't want to make the screenshots yourself.

Put the PDF files in the Baggage folder. Open one of them in your PDF reader. Size it suitable for the screen. Project > Screen Capture. Ctrl+click on the drawing in the PDF reader and an image goes straight into your topic. Click on the image to select it. Then Write > Link > File link. Navigate to the file in the Baggage folder. Done.

p.s. you can put all the functions in the Quick Access toolbar (top left of the H&M window), or customize the keyboard shortcuts.

cheers,

Martin.
simon harris

Hi Martin,

That is an interesting idea and something I may try. Thank you. If the customers can still just open the overall PDF and hit print still to create a book, that would be great. With an option of clicking a drawing to open an A3 landscape version in PDF, they may even find it appealing.
All the best,
Simon