Links Into Snippets

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

dreesor

Links Into Snippets

Unread post by dreesor »

Hi

I have a page of definitions that is comprised of 125 linked snippets which I edit in a Repository. In my manual, I need to create links to anchors located in those snippets on that page of definitions, but I don't know how to create links to linked snippets. I can create links that work from that definitions page to the referring page, but not into the linked snippets.

Can you please help?

Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Links Into Snippets

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dreesore,

You can link to an anchor in a linked snippet as long as you know the name of the anchor. In the link dialog (double-click on it in the editor to redisplay) just type in the anchor name in the anchor dropdown instead of selecting it (it's an editable field).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
dreesor

Unread post by dreesor »

Hi

In a related error - I am attempting to link between snippets in a list of 125 definitions using a repository. If I create an anchor within another snippet (a word or a numerical anchor), and link from one snippet to the other using those anchors, the following message occurs ("ERROR Topic not found 16_-competence_confidence/html).

How do I create links that work between snippets?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

dreesor wrote:How do I create links that work between snippets?
You don't. Snippets are just normal pasted text in a topic, so there is nothing to link to -- they will have the topic ID of the topic they are inserted in, since they are a normal part of that topic. You include an anchor in the snippet and link to that, as described above, but that will only work if you also know the ID of the topic into which the snippet has been inserted, and if you are using snippets in multiple topics that is impossible... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.