Variable for Total Number of Pages

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rob Davis

Variable for Total Number of Pages

Unread post by Rob Davis »

Hi
We are drawing up a new 'sparse' template to handle simple 'box opening' guidelines. The documents will usually be single pages, printed both sides, but in a few cases may run to 3 or even 4 sides.
I plan to use a custom pdf template with the front 'cover' page set up with embedded custom heading and footing and using an embedded 'text snippet' topic, and then use the regular Topics for any run-on pages.
I plan to have the run-on pages with a simple heading text snippet showing just a logo, title and page numbering giving 'Page x of y' - I am using the PAGENUMBER variable - but is there a way to get a 'TOTALPAGES" value?
Thanks
Rob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Variable for Total Number of Pages

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rob,

You can insert the total count with the undocumented <%TOTAL_PAGE_COUNT%> variable. This isn't documented as it significantly increases the publication time for PDF, forcing Help+Manual to generate all the pages twice: Once to get the layout and the total count, and then again to insert the total count number in all the pages. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rob Davis

Re: Variable for Total Number of Pages

Unread post by Rob Davis »

Hi Tim
Thanks for the quick response as always - this is a great help.
No problem with length of time - we are using this for short documents that will actually be printed on paper rather than being read onscreen - I just don't want a field technician to think that he lost a page!
Rob