Webserver for Webhelp - specifications?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dorte Jacobsen

Webserver for Webhelp - specifications?

Unread post by Dorte Jacobsen »

Hi,

Where can I find requirements for the a webserver to show my Webhelp project?
My IT folks are asking reasonable and basic questions (like "can it be a Linux server or does it have to be Windows?) and I cannot find specifics anywhere on your website.

Thanks,
Dorte
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Webserver for Webhelp - specifications?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dorte,

Basically, any up-to-date web server will be fine. Effectively that means either Apache running on a Windows or Linux/Unix server, or IIS running on a Windows server. A Linux or Unix server running Apache is generally always preferable to a Windows IIS web server, but that doesn't have anything to do with Help+Manual WebHelp directly, which will run fine on both.

The only key point is that you need support for PHP or ASP if you are going to use the more advanced platform for the search feature in WebHelp, with support for phrasal searches. ASP is Windows-only, so it is only available on Windows IIS servers, PHP is available on both Apache on Linux, Unix and Windows, and also on Windows IIS. Here too, PHP is generally preferable to the Windows variant, but ASP will work fine if that is all you have. You just need to remember to choose the appropriate search platform in your skin in Configuration > Publishing Options > WebHelp > Search.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dorte Jacobsen

Re: Webserver for Webhelp - specifications?

Unread post by Dorte Jacobsen »

Thanks for your (as ever) quick reply!

Dorte