How do I keep captions on the same page with the image?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tansy

How do I keep captions on the same page with the image?

Unread post by Tansy »

Is there a way to always keep the captions to images on the same page with the image when generating PDF output?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How do I keep captions on the same page with the image?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tansy,

How are you creating the captions? If you are using the Caption option in the Insert Image dialog (double-click on the image in the editor to display it again) it shouldn't be possible for the caption and the image to be separated. If you are creating the caption yourself in a separate paragraph or with a table you need to define the paragraph containing the image with the Keep with Next Paragraph option in its paragraph attributes (two separate paragraphs) or define the table so that it cannot split between pages in the table properties (caption in a table).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Hi Tim,
I am creating the caption as a separate paragraph below the image (both images and captions have their dedicated styles). The paragraph settings of the caption style are as attached:
caption par settings.png
The paragraph settings of the image style are below:
image par settings.png
Still the problem persists - the captions are sometimes placed on the next page after the image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tansy,

The problem is probably that you are applying the style with the keep-with-next property to the image. That property is a paragraph property and you cannot apply it to an image. You must apply it to the paragraph containing the image.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Thank you Tim, it looks like it fixes the problem.