SOLVED – Independent horizontal alignment of table and cells

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rainer Oehry

SOLVED – Independent horizontal alignment of table and cells

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

I regularly use tables smaller than the page size and centered on the page.

I can select the whole table, and then center it by centering the paragraph of the table. This works nicely for the table as a whole, but the problem is that all paragraphs in all table cells then get centered too. I then have to select all cells, but not the table as a whole, and reset them to the paragraph aligning I need inside the table. If all paragraphs in all cells are aligned the same way, this is not that much of a problem, but if I have a table with dozens of cells and tables within tables with several paragraphs each that are aligned differently, I need to go through all cells individually whenever I have to change the alignment of the table itself

I am not aware of a table style feature that allows to set the horizontal alignment of the table as a whole independently from the table content (or at all, for that matter), or any other way to change the table aligning independently from the cell content aligning. I can change the cell aligning without affecting the table aligning, but not the other way round.

Is this the intended behavior?

EDIT:
Just found the solution: Don’t select the whole table, but put the cursor AFTER the table before the table paragraph marker. Works as intended, and seems perfectly logical, too.
Interesting though, that I never noticed that before … you just never stop discovering new detail features of H&M :D
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: SOLVED – Independent horizontal alignment of table and c

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rainer,
Rainer Oehry wrote:Just found the solution: Don’t select the whole table, but put the cursor AFTER the table before the table paragraph marker. Works as intended, and seems perfectly logical, too.
Exactly: Every table is its own paragraph and you control its alignment on the page with the alignment of that paragraph. The only thing that is a bit tricky is getting the insertion point in between the table and the paragraph marker. In addition to clicking to the right of the table you can also put the marker in the very last character of the last cell of the table and then press the right cursor arrow once. That will take you out of the table and into the paragraph.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.